1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a proof.

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi. I have been given the following question.

Show that this is true:

3YQQ1.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I drew out the region and the bounds. I'm pretty sure that it isn't possible to integrate this because no matter the order, I need either an x or a y in there to do a substitution. So I'm guessing that I just have to show in some way that the final integral solution will lie between those two numbers, but I don't know how to approach this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about how large and how small the integrand can be on that domain.

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    Try your luck with a polar transformation if you want to save time on the integral.

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    I didn't do polar transformations yet.

That domain is a square, but how can i find how large it can be without knowing the integral?

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't use a polar transformation, because the domain is a finite rectangle.

7. Nov 28, 2011 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

ex2 + y2 will have its largest value at one of the corner points of the region. Similarly, this function will have its smallest value at another of the corner points.

8. Nov 28, 2011 #7
    Makes sense, but I'm not sure how i can show that without doing the integral itself.

9. Nov 28, 2011 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You DON'T need to calculate the integral. This problem is basically an extension of the ideas behind approximating an integral using a Riemann sum. Instead of using rectangles to get an upper and lower estimate for the area beneath a curve, here you're using boxes to get upper and lower estimates for the volume beneath a surface.

10. Nov 28, 2011 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, to be pedantic, he could use a polar transformation if he had studied that, but it would be pointless and wouldn't help.

@Kuma: Use the theorem if m ≤ f(x,y) ≤ M on a region R then
    [tex]m\cdot Area(R) \le \iint_R f(x,y)\, dydx\le M\cdot Area(R)[/tex]

11. Nov 28, 2011 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The polar transformation is applicable to subsets of disks, not to rectangles. For rectangles, cartesian coordinates are valid.

12. Nov 28, 2011 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dexter, you can use polar coordinates over whatever domain you choose, it's just going to be hard to write down the limits of the inside integral

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook