Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a schematic

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    Hey, I've been working on putting this schematic together (Not my design, got it off of instructibles.)

The-schematic.jpg

It's a distortion pedal for a guitar, at this point I have an amplified clean sound coming through, so I know the audio amp is working. My question is, since there's a short circuit following the 220uF capacitor, won't all of the current just bypass that section with the diodes? If so, would it be better to put that part in series with the capacitor and switch?

pinout for the op amp is here
    http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/lm386-power-audio.php

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't see any short circuit there.

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Between the 220uF capacitor and the dpdt switch. Isn't that a short? Or am I just a dumbass and forgetting something? Probably the later, heheh.

5. May 23, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For there to be a short, the wire to the right of the 220 uF cap would have to connect to ground. This is not the case here, for either position of the dpdt switch.

6. May 23, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh, a short when the switch is closed.

7. May 23, 2010 #6
    I see, so for it to be a short, the diode section (where ground is) and the negative of the cap would have to be connected to the same thing.

Yes, that's what my concern was since if it was a short, none of the signal from the guitar would be clipped.

Thank you for the help, guys.

8. May 24, 2010 #7

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You would have to include the diodes in the circuit like this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/clipping%20amp.PNG [Broken]

The output would be about 4 volts p-p and have more clipping on the positive half cycles than the negative half cycles for an input of more than 200 mV p-p assuming a gain of 20 from the 386.

You should see the LED flashing for high inputs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook