1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a series question

1. Jan 11, 2013 #1
    This is the last part to a Fourier Series problem. After using Parseval's Identity the following series emerges: [itex]\frac{1}{1^{4}}+\frac{1}{3^{4}} +\frac{1}{5^{4}} +\frac{1}{7^{4}}+\cdots = \frac{\pi^{4}}{96}[/itex]

We are then asked to show: [itex]\frac{1}{1^{4}}+\frac{1}{2^{4}} +\frac{1}{3^{4}} +\frac{1}{4^{4}}+\cdots = \frac{\pi^{4}}{90}[/itex]

Must one split the left hand side of the last identity into [itex]\sum\frac{1}{(2n)^{4}} + \sum\frac{1}{(2n-1)^{4}}[/itex], or is there an easier way? I'm guessing there is.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Hint:

Call your original series (sum of reciprocals of powers of odds) S. You're supposed to determine ##\zeta(4)##

##\sum\frac{1}{(2n-1)^{4}} = S##

##\sum\frac{1}{(2n)^{4}} = \frac{1}{16}\zeta(4)##

and the sum of those two is equal to ##\zeta(4)## again, right?

Just rearrange and solve for ##\zeta(4)##.

4. Jan 11, 2013 #3
    But are you assuming that ##\sum\frac{1}{(2n)^{4}} = \frac{1}{16}\zeta(4)##? Oh wait I think I understood. I'll let you know later thanks a lot.

5. Jan 11, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

You're just bringing the constant term ##\frac{1}{2^4}## outside the summation sign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook