1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a simple Diff Eqn

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem:

Solve, (x+1)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = x + 6

Here is what I tried:

I moved all the x's to one side and left the dy on the left of the equal sign to solve with the separation of variable method.

I got, [tex]\int{dy}[/tex] = [tex]\int{\frac{(x+6)}{(x+1)}dx}[/tex]

So here I just solve the integrals and I am done. I guess the real question is how do I go about solving the integral on the right? I seem to have forgotten some basic integral techniques.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2
    I came accross another integral that I am not catching here that seems to be along the same line as this one. Is there a rule to dealing with these kinds of integrals? [tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{(1+x)}}dx[/tex]
  4. Dec 10, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

For your first integral, you can write [tex]\frac{x+6}{x+1} = \frac{(x+1) + 5}{x+1} = 1 + \frac{5}{x+1}[/tex]which is easy to integrate.

For the second one, you can change variables to u = 1 + x, so du = dx and your integrand becomes

[tex]\frac{(u-1)^2}{u} = \frac{u^2 - 2u + 1}{u} = u - 2 + \frac{1}{u}[/tex],

which again should be easy to integrate.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    Awesome, that was super easy once you look at it that way. Thanks, now I can look at other integrals and apply the same method. Life somehow just became much easier!! ^_^ Thank you!!!
  6. Dec 11, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No need for the substitution hinted.

[tex] \frac{x^{2}}{x+1}=x-1+\frac{1}{x+1} [/tex]

7. Dec 11, 2006 #6
    Oh cool, even better. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?