Solving a Simple Differential Equation with Separation of Variables

• Thread starter prace
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a specific integral using the separation of variables method. The person asking the question initially had trouble with the integral, but with the help of the responder, they were able to break it down and solve it easily. They also discuss a similar integral and the method used to solve it.
prace
Here is the problem:

Solve, (x+1)[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] = x + 6

Here is what I tried:

I moved all the x's to one side and left the dy on the left of the equal sign to solve with the separation of variable method.

I got, [tex]\int{dy}[/tex] = [tex]\int{\frac{(x+6)}{(x+1)}dx}[/tex]

So here I just solve the integrals and I am done. I guess the real question is how do I go about solving the integral on the right? I seem to have forgotten some basic integral techniques.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I came across another integral that I am not catching here that seems to be along the same line as this one. Is there a rule to dealing with these kinds of integrals? [tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{(1+x)}}dx[/tex]

For your first integral, you can write [tex]\frac{x+6}{x+1} = \frac{(x+1) + 5}{x+1} = 1 + \frac{5}{x+1}[/tex]which is easy to integrate.

For the second one, you can change variables to u = 1 + x, so du = dx and your integrand becomes

[tex]\frac{(u-1)^2}{u} = \frac{u^2 - 2u + 1}{u} = u - 2 + \frac{1}{u}[/tex],

which again should be easy to integrate.

Last edited:
Awesome, that was super easy once you look at it that way. Thanks, now I can look at other integrals and apply the same method. Life somehow just became much easier! ^_^ Thank you!

prace said:
I came across another integral that I am not catching here that seems to be along the same line as this one. Is there a rule to dealing with these kinds of integrals? [tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{(1+x)}}dx[/tex]

No need for the substitution hinted.

[tex] \frac{x^{2}}{x+1}=x-1+\frac{1}{x+1} [/tex]

Daniel.

Oh cool, even better. Thanks!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model relationships between variables that are continuously changing over time or space.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they can accurately describe and predict the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are also used to solve real-world problems and make predictions about the future.

3. How do I solve a simple differential equation?

To solve a simple differential equation, you can use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. You can also use software programs like MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha to solve more complex differential equations.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and analyze systems such as population growth, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

5. Can you give an example of a simple differential equation?

One example of a simple differential equation is the logistic equation, which is used to model population growth. It is given by dP/dt = rP(1-P/K), where P represents the population, t represents time, r is the growth rate, and K is the carrying capacity of the environment. This equation describes how the population changes over time.