Is the Intersection of Even and Odd Function Subspaces Only the Zero Function?

• Thread starter vdgreat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: You could also say that the intersection is included in E and in O, so the intersection must be of dimension less than or equal to the smallest of E and O. But this is not clear to me that you have shown this. (I would give you full credit for this, but some profs are not as easily swayed by "clearly" as I am.)for c)Yes, you're on the right track. As mentioned in the previous post, every function can be written as the sum of an even and an odd function. So think about the definition of E + O as the set of all possible sums of an even and an odd function. Can you argue that this set must contain all functions in V? Think
vdgreat
Let V be the vector space of all functions from R to R, equipped with the usual
operations of function addition and scalar multiplication. Let E be the subset of even
functions, so E = {f [tex]\epsilon[/tex] V |f(x) = f(−x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x [tex]\epsilon[/tex] R} , and let O be the subset of odd
functions, so that O = {f [tex]\epsilon[/tex] V |f(x) = −f(−x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x [tex]\epsilon[/tex] R} . Prove that:
(a) E and O are subspaces of V .
(b) E [tex]\cap[/tex] O = {0}.
(c) E + O = V .

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a good problem.

I don't think this should be too difficult for you. I think all you need is a few tips to help you get it. How about you show us what you have done so far?

Basically, all you need to do is apply your definitions. and use one of your proof techniques. For example, in "b" try using proof by contradiction. So assume that th intersection of E and O is not empty, and see where this leads you.

Give the problem a try or tell us your ideas at least and then someone will give you some good comments and feedback. :)

i did a)
trying b and see where it leads

thanks

for b)

i said
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= f(-x) and f(x)=-f(-x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= -f(x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= 0, [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {0} (f(x) =0 is the zero function)

what do you think?

do we need contradiction?
and how about c) any idea??

Be careful with c) E+ O is the space spanned by the vectors in E and in O. In other words, functions in it can be written as a linear combination of even and odd functions.

You might want to think about this: Given any function f, we can define
a) [itex]f_E(x)= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2[/itex], the even "part" of f
b) [itex]f_O(x)= (f(x)- f(-x))/2[/itex], the odd "part" of f

Can you see that [itex]f_E[/itex] is an even function and that [itex]f_O[/itex] is an odd function? And that [itex]f(x)= f_E(x)+ f_O(x)[/itex]? What does that tell you about part c?

vdgreat said:
for b)

i said
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= f(-x) and f(x)=-f(-x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= -f(x), [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {f[tex]\epsilon[/tex]v | f(x)= 0, [tex]\forall[/tex]x[tex]\epsilon[/tex]R}
E[tex]\cap[/tex]O= {0} (f(x) =0 is the zero function)

what do you think?

Not bad. But it depends on how anal your prof is.
I think you might want to use contradiction just to be safe here. (Someone else please tell me if they disagree).

We have that the zero function is in O and E by (a). Now assume that there is another function in the intersection which is NOT equal to the zero function. Then show that is is incorrect by your argument above.

that seems the safest way.

1. What is a subspace problem?

A subspace problem refers to an issue or difficulty encountered in the study or application of a subspace, which is a subset of a vector space. This can include problems related to the properties, operations, or applications of subspaces.

2. How do you solve a subspace problem?

The solution to a subspace problem depends on the specific issue at hand. It may involve using mathematical techniques such as linear algebra, geometry, or calculus to analyze the properties of the subspace or to find a solution to a particular problem within the subspace. It may also involve using computer software or programming to manipulate and visualize the subspace.

3. What are some common types of subspace problems?

Some common types of subspace problems include determining if a given set of vectors form a subspace, finding a basis for a subspace, determining the dimension of a subspace, and solving systems of linear equations involving subspaces.

4. Can subspace problems be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, subspace problems have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, subspaces can be used to model systems with multiple variables, analyze data sets, and solve optimization problems.

5. Where can I find help with a subspace problem?

If you are struggling with a subspace problem, you can seek help from a math or science tutor, consult textbooks or online resources, or ask for assistance from fellow scientists or mathematicians. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have departments or centers dedicated to specific areas of mathematics, including linear algebra and subspaces, where you can find experts and resources to help with your problem.