How Do You Calculate the Components of a Superhero's Displacement?

• Thread starter motionman04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal and vertical components of a displacement of 140 meters for a superhero flying from the top of a tall building at an angle of 35 degrees. After some discussion and calculations, it is determined that the vertical component is 140sin35 and the horizontal component is 140cos35. Another problem involving finding the resultant displacement from a starting point using given instructions and angles is also discussed. The final answer is determined to be 203.47 meters at an angle of 167.11 degrees counterclockwise from the +x direction.
motionman04
Find the horizontal and vertical components of the d = 140 m displacement of a superhero who flies from the top of a tall building following the path shown in Fig. P3.18 where = 35.0°.

The picture is here http://www.webassign.net/pse/p3-20alt.gif

Not sure of exactly where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a triangle and writing what you know on it.

well i was able to get the vertical by 140 cos 35, but as I tried 140 sin 35, the answer turned out to be wrong.

Remember your trigonometry: what does cos 35 equal in this triangle? What does sin 35 equal?

I have a question...do you know what the right answer is...because i think i figured it out...ALSO, I don't know if I'm looking at the problem right...but to me the VERTICAL component (Y) looks to me to be opposite of the angle, which would make the y component 140 sin 35...and the x component is adjacent to the angle, which is 140cos 35

That is what I was getting at, hoping motionman would figure it out on his own.

Well I know that sin = opposite over hypotenuse, and cos = adjacent over hypotenuse, I tried 140 sin 35 but apparently that's wrong

The vertical (y) component should be 140 sin 35, the horizontal (x) component should be 140 cos 35. Make sure your calculator is in degree mode.

yep, its in degree mode, and I get an answer of 80.3007 m, however, its wrong for some reason

140sin35 = 80.3007, so u are right, what does the answer say in the book?

Well its a problem is on webassign.com, and each time I put in that number, it says it is incorrect

maybe put negative -80.3007, since it is negative according to the x and y-axis on how the diagram is labeled. Other than that, the only thing i can think of is check your significant digits, and how accurate webassign.com wants ur answeres to be.

Yep, that did the trick, thanks for that one cinderblock

No problem bro

I've got another problem that's been stumping me, it goes like this:

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 77.0 paces at 245°, turn to 130° and walk 110 paces, then travel 100 paces at 162°. The angles are measured counterclockwise from an axis pointing to the east, the +x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point.

Now, I've found the x, y components for all three vectors, by doing

77 cos/sin 245, 110 cos/sin 130, 100 cos/sin 162, and after finding the resultant vector for the x, it turned out to be wrong.

I hate this Web applets, if you put too many numbers it will say wrong...

try putting -80.30

Last edited:
motionman04 said:
I've got another problem that's been stumping me, it goes like this:

Instructions for finding a buried treasure include the following: Go 77.0 paces at 245°, turn to 130° and walk 110 paces, then travel 100 paces at 162°. The angles are measured counterclockwise from an axis pointing to the east, the +x direction. Determine the resultant displacement from the starting point.

Now, I've found the x, y components for all three vectors, by doing

77 cos/sin 245, 110 cos/sin 130, 100 cos/sin 162, and after finding the resultant vector for the x, it turned out to be wrong.

Use the components!

Sum all the X components and the Y components, and you will have the displacement in X component and Y component.

Well other than that, let me try

[tex] \vec{R} = (R_{x}i + R{y}j) m [/tex]

[tex] R_{x} = 77cos(245) + 110cos(130) + 100cos(162)[/tex]

[tex] R_{y} = 77sin(245) + 110sin(130) + 100sin(162)[/tex]

[tex] \vec{R} = (-198.35i + 45.38j) m [/tex]

[tex] |\vec{R}| = \sqrt{(-198.35)^2 + (45.38)^2} = 203.47 m[/tex]

[tex] \theta_{R} = 167.11^o [/tex] Counter-Clockwise.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did, I got the resultant vector for the x components and used that as the displacement vector from the starting point

motionman04 said:
Yeah, I did, I got the resultant vector for the x components and used that as the displacement vector from the starting point

i don't think that's what is asking. It's asking for the Resultant Vector.

haha no luck with the 221 or 315 degrees,

motionman04 said:
haha no luck with the 221 or 315 degrees,

That's the answer... :grumpy:

It's a simple polygone shape with one side being the Resultant vector...

Copy me the exact problem with the underlines, so i can see what's expecting...

Well when I added the y resultant, it was -123.148

Wait nevermind, i got 45.38 for the y

motionman04 said:
Wait nevermind, i got 45.38 for the y

you're correct, i probably put some value wrong in the calculator...

so did the darn thing, finally accepted the answer?

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squared components. In other words, you can use the formula: |𝑣| = √(𝑥² + 𝑦² + 𝑧²).

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be represented by a single number, whereas vectors require multiple components to fully describe them.

3. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you can use the parallelogram law or the triangle law. The parallelogram law states that the sum of two vectors is equal to the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The triangle law states that the sum of two vectors is equal to the third side of the triangle formed by the two vectors.

4. How can I determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be determined by finding the angle it makes with the positive x-axis. You can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find this angle.

5. What is the dot product and how is it calculated?

The dot product is a mathematical operation between two vectors that results in a scalar. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In equation form, it can be represented as: 𝑎 · 𝑏 = |𝑎| |𝑏| cos𝜃. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate work, force, and other quantities.