Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a VERY general Engineering degree

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    Engineering, of whatever field, tends to have a course which is predetermined, and there isnt much room for electives, or a minor.
    I also understand, that Engineering (generally speaking) is mostly applications of Physics and Math.
    That said, I was wondering, could I "create" my own general Engineering degree, by emulating the Eng course, by taking Physics as my major, and using all or most of my electives to cover (or cover close enough) that which is studied with Engineering?
    The main reason I am interested in this is because although I love physics, I would like to get into engineering, without having to specialize in any one particular Engineering field.
    Thanks alot

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing (mostly from your saying 'math') that you are in the US.

Some Universities do offer a broad engineering major (such as Northwestern & Penn State's "Engg. Science" program, which is offered by the School of Engg.) while most universities offer an Engineering Physics Major (which is more like Applied Physics).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?