Help with a VERY general Engineering degree

In summary, Engineering tends to have a predetermined course with limited room for electives or minors. It is mostly based on applications of Physics and Math. However, it is possible to create a general Engineering degree by majoring in Physics and using electives to cover similar topics. Some universities offer a broad engineering major or an Engineering Physics major.
neil_m
Engineering, of whatever field, tends to have a course which is predetermined, and there isn't much room for electives, or a minor.
I also understand, that Engineering (generally speaking) is mostly applications of Physics and Math.
That said, I was wondering, could I "create" my own general Engineering degree, by emulating the Eng course, by taking Physics as my major, and using all or most of my electives to cover (or cover close enough) that which is studied with Engineering?
The main reason I am interested in this is because although I love physics, I would like to get into engineering, without having to specialize in anyone particular Engineering field.
Thanks alot

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing (mostly from your saying 'math') that you are in the US.

Some Universities do offer a broad engineering major (such as Northwestern & Penn State's "Engg. Science" program, which is offered by the School of Engg.) while most universities offer an Engineering Physics Major (which is more like Applied Physics).

It is certainly possible to create your own general Engineering degree by combining a major in Physics with relevant electives. However, keep in mind that a general Engineering degree may not hold as much weight or recognition as a specialized degree in a specific field of Engineering. Employers may be looking for candidates with specific knowledge and skills in a particular area of Engineering, so it may be beneficial to consider focusing on a specific field of Engineering during your studies.

Additionally, while Physics and Math are important foundations for Engineering, there are also other subjects such as materials science, design, and computer programming that are crucial to the field. It may be challenging to cover all of these areas through electives alone.

Ultimately, it is important to carefully consider your career goals and the job market before deciding on a degree plan. You may also want to speak with an academic advisor or professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the potential career paths and opportunities with a general Engineering degree versus a specialized one.

What is a general Engineering degree?

A general Engineering degree is a broad field of study that covers a wide range of topics, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and computer science. It provides a strong foundation in fundamental principles and problem-solving skills, which can be applied to various engineering disciplines.

What types of jobs can I get with a general Engineering degree?

A general Engineering degree can open up a variety of career opportunities in fields such as aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, environmental, and manufacturing industries. You can also pursue advanced studies in specialized areas of engineering or transition into other fields such as business, law, or medicine.

Is a general Engineering degree a good choice for someone who is undecided about their specific career path?

Yes, a general Engineering degree is an excellent choice for individuals who are unsure about their career path because it provides a broad knowledge base and transferable skills that can be applied to various industries. It also allows you to explore different engineering disciplines before deciding on a specific area of study.

What skills will I develop with a general Engineering degree?

A general Engineering degree will help you develop essential skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical reasoning, technical writing, and teamwork. You will also gain a solid understanding of mathematical and scientific principles, as well as hands-on experience with various engineering tools and technologies.

Can I specialize in a particular area of engineering with a general Engineering degree?

Yes, while a general Engineering degree covers a broad range of topics, you can still specialize in a specific area of engineering through elective courses, internships, and research opportunities. This allows you to tailor your degree to match your interests and career goals.