1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a volume question calculus style

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    Help with a volume question....calculus style

This is a problem solving question, so it is worded. I have cut off the first part which just explains the situation

We have a dam that opens to let water out to flood the plains. When a volume of 300 megalitres has passed through the gates, they automatically close. Within this volume limit, the rate of flow of water (R)
    (in megalitres/minute) can be modelled by the following equation:

R = cos 0.001t, where t is the time in minutes.

If the gates open at midnight, at what time (to the nearest minute) will they automatically close?

This is causing me some considerable trouble, as i am only in grade 12. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seeing as how you're in grade 12, this should be a cinch ;). It's a pretty simple problem, so I think most hints would give it away, but here it goes (let t=0 at midnight):

[tex]R = \cos (0.001t)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \cos (0.001t) [/tex]

[tex]dV = \cos(0.001t) dt[/tex]

[tex]\int_{V_0} ^{V_{f}} dV = \int_{0} ^{t_{f}} \cos(0.001t) dt[/tex]

[tex]300 = 1000\sin (0.001t) |_{0} ^{t_{f}} [/tex]

[tex]0.3 = \sin (0.001t_{f})[/tex]

[tex]t_f = 1000 \arcsin (0.3)[/tex]

Based on this you can figure out when it closes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?