Word Problem: Finding a Number with -5 and 2 in the Equation

Divide both sides by 7. n= 24/7.In summary, to solve for the number, we need to combine the two equations -5n- 2= -2n- 26 and 5n+ 2= 2n+ 26, and then isolate the variable by adding and subtracting terms on both sides. The final result is n= 24/7.
Cyrilshark
The word problem: If the product of a number and -5 is reduced by 2, the result is 26 less than twice the opposite of the number. What is the number?

I wrote it out like this:
n x (-5) - 2 = 2(-n) - 26

I'm really at a loss here. Normally when there's a variable, my teacher says to get the variable alone, but when there's two that share a number, I don't know what to do besides pick random numbers and see what happens :P

Thanks in advance,
Cyril

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cyril! :smile:

Just shove all the n's over to the LHS, and everything else to the RHS. :wink:

Haha thanks :D

So add 7 to the left to get rid of the -5 and - 2 (and add it to the right of course), but how do you move the variable from the right?

eugh! :yuck:

perhaps i'd better start you off :wink:

n x (-5) - 2 = 2(-n) - 26​

let's rewrite that as

-5n - 2 = -2n - 26 …​

carry on from there :smile:

Cyrilshark said:
The word problem: If the product of a number and -5 is reduced by 2, the result is 26 less than twice the opposite of the number. What is the number?

I wrote it out like this:
n x (-5) - 2 = 2(-n) - 26
It would be better to write this as -5n- 2= -2n- 26

I'm really at a loss here. Normally when there's a variable, my teacher says to get the variable alone, but when there's two that share a number, I don't know what to do besides pick random numbers and see what happens :P

Thanks in advance,
Cyril
So combine the two: add 2n to both sides, add 2 to both sides

(If you don't like negatives, you could start by multiplying both sides by -1 to get
5n+ 2= 2n+ 26. Now subtract 2n from both sides, subtract from both sides.)

What is a word problem?

A word problem is a mathematical problem that is presented in the form of a story or real-life situation. It typically involves using mathematical operations to solve a problem or answer a question.

How do I approach a word problem?

The first step in approaching a word problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the key information and variables involved. Next, choose an appropriate mathematical operation or strategy to solve the problem and show your work.

What are some common strategies for solving word problems?

Some common strategies for solving word problems include drawing diagrams, making tables or charts, using equations or formulas, and working backwards from the answer. It is important to choose the strategy that works best for the specific problem.

What should I do if I get stuck on a word problem?

If you get stuck on a word problem, take a step back and try to identify the key information and variables again. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or using a different strategy. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

How can I check my answer for a word problem?

To check your answer for a word problem, you can plug your solution back into the original problem and see if it makes sense. You can also use a calculator or consult a solution guide to compare your answer to the correct one. Remember to always show your work and check for any errors or mistakes.