Help with acceleration on incline

In summary, the minimum acceleration that the inclined plane must have in order for the block of mass 1.3 kg to slide down is 1.2. This is found by analyzing the vertical and horizontal components of the normal force, friction force, and weight force using Newton's 2nd law and solving for acceleration. It is important to specify the particular angle being used and to correctly substitute the values for normal force and friction force.
jhson114
An inclined plane that makes an angle of 28° to the horizontal is mounted on wheels. A small block of mass m = 1.3 kg rests on the plane, held there by a coefficient of static friction µ = 0.7.

The plane is accelerating to the right. What is the minimum acceleration in order that the block slides down the plane?

I'm confused on where to even start. help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Because coefficient of static friction=F x R(normal reaction),hence
0.7=F x mg
Force = 0.7/mg
=0.055 N

You say the plane is accelerating to the right, what is the plane acceleration ?

Newton's 2nd law

jhson114 said:
The plane is accelerating to the right. What is the minimum acceleration in order that the block slides down the plane?
Draw a diagram of the mass showing all the forces on it. (There are three forces acting.) Now consider the conditions just before the mass starts to slide down the plane: The vertical forces are in equilibrium; the horizontal forces must produce an acceleration. Apply Newton's 2nd law and solve for the acceleration.

i drew fbd, and set x-axis in the direction of the acceleration, and y-axis straight up.
Then i applied the Newtons second law, and this is what i got.

ma = fs - mg(cosx)
1.3a = 0.055 - (1.3*9.8*cos28)
when i solve for a, i get a negative number.
i can't figure out what went wrong.

I don't know what that equation represents.

Do it step by step:
(1) Identify all the forces on the mass.
(2) Write the equation for vertical equilibrium.
(3) Apply Newton's 2nd law for the horizontal force components.

Combine the equations from (2) and (3) and solve for "a".

for vertical, i got this: F (force y) = N (normal) - W(weight)SinX
for horizontal, i got : F (force x) = fs(static friction) - W(weight)CosX
i replaced F with MA (mass x acc) and tried solving it. this is what i did for the previous post.

you have you axes tilted...so with that tilted axis, you have accelertaion going in both the x and y directions...use a straight axes (were x is in the direction of acceleration)...that way you have acceleration in only one direction

jhson114 said:
for vertical, i got this: F (force y) = N (normal) - W(weight)SinX
for horizontal, i got : F (force x) = fs(static friction) - W(weight)CosX
i replaced F with MA (mass x acc) and tried solving it. this is what i did for the previous post.
As Spectre5 notes, you need to analyze vertical and horizontal components, not components perpendicular and parallel to the surface.

The three forces that I see are: normal force, static friction, and weight. All three have vertical components. (Note that since we are finding the point at which the mass just overcomes the static friction, that friction force must equal [itex]\mu N[/itex].) Similarly, the normal force and friction both have horizontal components.

Redo your equations.

is the frictional force for x component and y component equal in magnitude?

i reworked the equations as stated above and this is what i got:
Fy(force y) = fs(static fric y) + Ny (normal y) - W(weight)cosX
Fx(force x) = fs (static fric x) + Nx (normal x)

im kind of getting it but still alittle confused on how to calculate Ny and Nx and whether static friction force for y component and x components are equal.

man i suck at this :(

You are not taking full advantage of the given information. The only things you don't know are N and a; all else is given (mass, [itex]\theta[/itex], [itex]\mu[/itex]). Use this information to find the vertical and horizontal components of the three forces.

For example. The normal force, N, has a vertical component of [itex]N cos\theta[/itex] and a horizontal component of [itex]-N sin\theta[/itex]. Due a similar component breakdown for the friction force ([itex]\mu N[/itex]) and the weight (mg).

Now redo your equations once again. Don't give up.

one more question. the angle for feta always going to be 28 degrees for all components?

isnt the vertical component Nsine(feta) and horizontal Ncos(feta)?

jhson114 said:
one more question. the angle for feta always going to be 28 degrees for all components?
Draw a picture and figure it out. Remember that [itex]sin(28) = cos(62)[/itex], etc.

jhson114 said:
isnt the vertical component Nsine(feta) and horizontal Ncos(feta)?
I was using [itex]\theta = 28[/itex]; sorry if that was confusing.

this is the final equation i was able to come up with.
Fx = f*cos(feta) - N*cos(feta)
Fy = f*sine(feta) + N*sine(feta) - W (W=mass*gravity)
is this correct? you said above that for horizontal it should be sine, and vertical cos, but i don't understand this. i think it should be other way around.

oh i see what you did. yeah that was alittle confusing. anyways does my equations look okay?

dang it. its still wrong. i sux. :(
Fx = Mass*A
Fy = 0
for friction i used 28degrees as feta
for normal i used 62 degrees as feta
i get negative number for an answer.

jhson114 said:
this is the final equation i was able to come up with.
Fx = f*cos(feta) - N*cos(feta)
Fy = f*sine(feta) + N*sine(feta) - W (W=mass*gravity)
is this correct? you said above that for horizontal it should be sine, and vertical cos, but i don't understand this. i think it should be other way around.
Rather than use [itex]\theta[/itex], specify the particular angle you mean. It doesn't matter whether you use sin(28) or cos(62), but you need to specify the angle you are using. And instead of f, put what it equals [itex]f = \mu N[/itex]; same for W, use [itex]w = mg[/itex].

Woo hoo! i got it! 1.2! Yeah baby. haha.
What i was doing wrong was for f, i was using the value that other guy posted but he calculated it thinking it was flat on the ground therefore he subsituted N as m*g. But that wasnt the case here because it was slanted. wow. tough stuff. thanks DocAl :)

1. What is acceleration on an incline?

Acceleration on an incline refers to the change in an object's velocity as it moves up or down an inclined surface. It is affected by the object's mass, the angle of the incline, and the force of gravity.

2. How does the angle of an incline affect acceleration?

The steeper the incline, the greater the acceleration. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object is split into two components - one parallel to the incline and one perpendicular to it. As the angle of the incline increases, the parallel component of gravity increases, resulting in a higher acceleration.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration on an incline?

The formula for acceleration on an incline is a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline in degrees.

4. How does an object's mass affect acceleration on an incline?

An object's mass does not directly affect its acceleration on an incline. However, a heavier object will require more force to move up the incline and will therefore have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter object.

5. Can you decrease the acceleration on an incline?

Yes, the acceleration on an incline can be decreased by decreasing the angle of the incline or by increasing the friction between the object and the incline. This can be done by adding a rough surface or by increasing the weight of the object pushing down on the incline.