Acceleration Homework Help: Motion Diagram and Sticky Track Analysis

In summary, a ball rolling along a track with a 3.0m-long sticky section has an acceleration of 3.96 m/s^2. To determine this, the initial speed (V_i) and final speed (V_f) must be determined, as well as the distance (x) over which the change in speed occurs. This can be done using the formula V_f^2 - V_i^2 = 2ax. It is important to check with a teacher if this formula is appropriate to use.
Mirole

Homework Statement

The figure shows the motion diagram, made at two frames of film per second, of a ball rolling along a track. The track has a 3.0m-long sticky section.
02.P24.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2278/screenshotkh.png <-- The graph with the coordinates

Homework Equations

a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

a=1.98-0/1.5-1
=3.96
a=3-2/2-1 = 1 + 3.96

I've tried a bunch of ways but could not get it
[

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asked to figure out the acceleration of the ball in the sticky section of the track.

(1) First determine the initial speed [itex] V_i [/itex]?
(2) Then determine the final speed [itex] V_f [/itex]?
(3) What is the distance [itex] x [/itex] over which this change in speed occurs?
(4) Have you learned a formula which relates these three quantities? The formula
I am thinking of is [tex] V_f^2 - V_i^2 = 2 a x [/tex]. Then use this formula and
and ask your teacher if it is legitimate to do so.

Ok, I got it. Thanks!

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (how much the velocity changes) and direction (the direction in which the velocity changes).

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. It can also be measured in other units such as kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) or miles per hour squared (mi/h²).

What causes acceleration?

Acceleration is caused by a change in velocity, which can be caused by a force acting on an object. This force can be applied by gravity, friction, or other external forces.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is the measure of how much the velocity changes over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly its speed is changing.

How can acceleration be calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.