1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with accelerometer

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    What I am trying to do:
    I am placing my accelerometer [parallax BS2] ontop of my amigobot. I move the amigobot 1 meter foward with the acceleromter ontop while taking data for x and y direction. I then read the data to my computer and plot it.

Data:
    The plot shows the data jumping up and down as time increasing and then it begins to decrease until it hits 0 again.

What I know :
    Acceleration in this case should be like a trapezoid going up based on the increase in velocity and then reaching a constsant velocity(accell is 0) and then coming back down to 0 when the amigobot reaches 1 Meter. It would be pretty difficult to integrate the area underneath this because it looks like there is alot of noise invlove and that could be affecting it.

Issue: I am not sure why my data is jumping up and down. I never used an accelerometer before so this is proving the text book stuff right but I am not in this situation I am having.

Thank you if anyone can help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So it accelerates, decelerates and ends up at zero acceleration? Isn't that how you move it?

So first it should be 0 and then come down to 0?

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Here is my data if it helps. I am just concerned about the up and down. I did an initial without movement and then 3 runs.(from starting at 0 to 1 meter)

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook