Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with adhesives

1. May 2, 2007 #1
    Hi

I need to find a strong bonding waterproof adhesive to attach polycarbonate to acetate. It must be relatively thin, and strong.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Have you tried silicone? I'm not sure how well it would adhere to those materials, but it's pretty universal. If it does work, you might want to use the 'bathroom repair' sort. It has an anti-fungal agent in it for use in damp environments.

4. May 2, 2007 #3
    Silicone is used for most of the cell, but is far too thick and week for this purpose. I am at home at the moment, but heading to the lab in a minute and I will post the glue tests I have tried, none have been particularly successful at the moment. Thickness is important, and it must be transparent to ultrasonic frequencies, and it must be strong enough not to allow buckling or vibrational modes into an acetate window.

5. May 3, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

This site might be of some help to you: http://www.tapplastics.com/info/adhesives.php?
    I used Weld-On #'s 3 & 4 fairly extensively in a couple of different occupations. They're awesome on acrylic, but I don't know about other materials. You just put the pieces together the way that you want and squirt it into the joint with a syringe. It diffuses along the whole contact area by capillary action--very thin and completely invisible. Despite what it says on that site about setting in 30-60 minutes, we found that it was ready to handle within 1-2 minutes.

6. May 3, 2007 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried cyanoacrylate?

7. May 3, 2007 #6
    I have done glue tests on:
    Loctite Stick,n Seal
    Loctite 401
    Marine Goop
    Lepage 5
    Gorilla Glue

i have two new ones being ordered in for tests
    at the moment
    Lepage 5 and Loctite 401 are the strongest candidates

Clarity is also important, and Loctite 401 seems to be the clearer than Lepage 5 which clouds pretty bad.

8. May 7, 2007 #7
    So i used Loctite 401 on one of the cell walls, holds tight, but it dries a little to fast for my liking, making it difficult to work with.

9. Jun 4, 2007 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  10. Jun 5, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

As if my 'bookmarks' bar wasn't too long already... :rolleyes:
    Nice link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?