1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with air resistance

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    Can someone please explain the math of this problem?

-If F is the force of air resistance on an object with mass m moving at a constant velocity, which of the following best describes the acceleration of the object when the force of air resistance is reduced by a factor of 4?
    (a) F/m
    (b) 1/2 F/m
    (c) 1/4 F/m
    (d) 3/4 F/m

The answer is d but I do not understand how to get it. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2
    If it is moving at a constant velocity, what force is required in order to maintain that velocity in the initial case (with full air resistance)?

If the Air resistance is reduced by a factor of four, but the same force is assumed to be acting on the object, how does the object react?

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3
    I am assuming that when velocity is constant, then the F(air) must cancel out the F of (mg). Therefore, when I drew this out on paper, I made the F(mg) component longer and the F(air) shorter since F(air) is reduced.

How do the fraction come into play? How is the answer 3/4 F/m? Thanks in advance

5. Jun 23, 2014 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

What is the net force remaining when you reduce the air resistance by a factor of 4?

6. Jun 23, 2014 #5
    I get it. Reducing by a factor of 4 requires one to think in terms of fractions (1/4). Therefore, the net F remaining is 3/4. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted