How Far Should an Air Tanker Release Its Load to Hit a Target?

• Thread starter kle89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary: The key is to find the time it takes for the chemicals to reach the ground and then use that time to calculate the horizontal distance traveled. So in summary, using projectile motion equations and setting horizontal and vertical distances equal to each other, it is determined that an air tanker should release its load 6 seconds before it is directly over the target in order to hit the target with flame retardant chemicals. This will result in a horizontal distance of 480 meters.
kle89
Problem
An air tanker flies horizontally at an altitude of 180 m and a speed of 80 m/s over a forest fire. In
order to hit its target with flame retardant chemicals, how far before it is directly over the target should it
release its load? Neglect air resistance.

Using Projectile motion equations
for the horizontal distance, I set it = to x = (80m/s)(t)
for the vertical distance i used y = y' + vy't - 1/2gt^2 getting y = 180 - (.5)(10 m/s^2)(t^2)

I set them equal to each other

(80m/s)(t) = 180 - (.5)(10 m/s^s)(t^s)
solved for t and got 2 seconds.

Am i doing things right so far or did i mess up somewhere? Thanks in advance?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, why did you equate x displacement and y displacements ?
What is required is that by the time the chemicals reach the ground, they must have moved horizontally to the exact point of the fire. Find the time taken for the chemicals to reach the ground. Then you can find the tihe distance it travels in that time and thus get the drop distance. Do you follow ?

"y = 180 - (.5)(10 m/s^2)(t^2)"

This makes no sense the way it is. You know the total distance it falls, what are you trying to solve for here? (y is zero, since it is at ground level).

"(80m/s)(t) = 180 - (.5)(10 m/s^s)(t^s)"

This doesn't make sense either. You can't equate y to x to solve for t, which is what it looks like you're trying to do. They are not representing the same distance.

What you need to consider is how long it will take the chemicals to fall from the height of 180 m. Once you have that you can figure out what x should be.

Thanks for the input.

I used y = y' + vy't - 1/2gt^2
0 = 180m + 0 - 1/2(9.8m/s^2)t^2
4.9t^2 = 180m
t = 6s

So i would plug this into the horizontal velocity x = 80m/s(6s) = 480m

Thanks, is this correct? perhaps i was thinking way to hard earlier.

kle89 said:
Thanks for the input.

I used y = y' + vy't - 1/2gt^2
0 = 180m + 0 - 1/2(9.8m/s^2)t^2
4.9t^2 = 180m
t = 6s

So i would plug this into the horizontal velocity x = 80m/s(6s) = 480m

Thanks, is this correct? perhaps i was thinking way to hard earlier.

That looks good to me.

What is the airplane problem?

The airplane problem refers to any issue or malfunction that could potentially affect the safety or functionality of an airplane during a flight.

What causes airplane problems?

Airplane problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical failures, human error, weather conditions, and other external factors.

What steps are taken to prevent airplane problems?

To prevent airplane problems, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place for airplane design, maintenance, and operation. Regular inspections and maintenance checks are also conducted to identify and address any potential issues before they can become a problem.

What should passengers do in the event of an airplane problem?

In the event of an airplane problem, passengers should remain calm and follow the instructions of the flight crew. They should also pay attention to safety demonstrations and familiarize themselves with the location of emergency exits and safety equipment.

How do scientists contribute to solving airplane problems?

Scientists play a crucial role in identifying and solving airplane problems through rigorous research, testing, and development of new technologies and safety protocols. They also work closely with engineers and other experts to continuously improve and enhance airplane design and performance.