Algebra Help Needed: Understanding Algebraic Manipulations and Techniques

• B
  • Thread starter Jehannum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: The general rule is known as the "power of a sum rule" or the "binomial theorem". It can be applied for any values of a, b, and c as long as a is not equal to 0. In summary, the power of a sum rule, also known as the binomial theorem, states that (a + b) ^ c can be simplified to a ^ c (1 + b / a) ^ c, where a is not equal to 0. This can be applied for any values of a, b, and c.
Jehannum
I'm reading a textbook that does a couple of algebraic manipulations in one step (in order to get the expressions ready for the binomial theorem). I'm unfamiliar with this step. Could anyone expand it into several steps? It's using some kind of algebraic standard technique or result that I don't know.

Here's the first one:

(x + dx) ^ -2 becomes x ^ -2 (1 + dx / x) ^ -2​

The second one is:

(x + dx) ^ 0.5 becomes x ^ 0.5 (1 + dx / x) ^ 0.5​

Am I correct in inferring that there's a general rule:

(a + b) ^ c becomes a ^ c (1 + b / a) ^ c​

If so, is there a name for this rule, and are there any conditions on the values of a, b and c for it to work?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The first rule to be applied is ##(x\cdot y)^p=x^p \cdot y^p## where the associativity (##x\cdot (y \cdot z) = (x \cdot y) \cdot z##) and commutativity (##x \cdot y = y \cdot x##) of multiplication is used and which gives ##a^c \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a})^c=(a \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a}))^c##. Next we use the distributive law ##x \cdot (y+z)=x \cdot z+y\cdot z## to get ##(a \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a}))^c=(a \cdot 1 +a \cdot \frac{b}{a})^c=(a+b)^c## where again associativity of multiplication is used. The only condition that has to be valid is ##a \neq 0## for otherwise the division wouldn't be defined.

Likes Jehannum
Jehannum said:
I'm reading a textbook that does a couple of algebraic manipulations in one step (in order to get the expressions ready for the binomial theorem). I'm unfamiliar with this step. Could anyone expand it into several steps? It's using some kind of algebraic standard technique or result that I don't know.

Am I correct in inferring that there's a general rule:

(a + b) ^ c becomes a ^ c (1 + b / a) ^ c​

If so, is there a name for this rule, and are there any conditions on the values of a, b and c for it to work?

That's a basic property of exponents.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/exponent-laws.html

fresh_42 said:
The first rule to be applied is ##(x\cdot y)^p=x^p \cdot y^p## where the associativity (##x\cdot (y \cdot z) = (x \cdot y) \cdot z##) and commutativity (##x \cdot y = y \cdot x##) of multiplication is used and which gives ##a^c \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a})^c=(a \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a}))^c##. Next we use the distributive law ##x \cdot (y+z)=x \cdot z+y\cdot z## to get ##(a \cdot (1+\frac{b}{a}))^c=(a \cdot 1 +a \cdot \frac{b}{a})^c=(a+b)^c## where again associativity of multiplication is used. The only condition that has to be valid is ##a \neq 0## for otherwise the division wouldn't be defined.

Thank you. That's clear now.

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating these symbols to solve mathematical equations and expressions.

2. Why do I need help with algebra?

Algebra can be a challenging subject for many people, as it involves complex concepts and problem-solving skills. Seeking help with algebra can improve your understanding and mastery of the subject.

3. Where can I find help with algebra?

You can find help with algebra from various sources such as tutors, online resources, textbooks, and study groups. It is essential to find a method that works best for you and your learning style.

4. How can I improve my algebra skills?

Practice is key to improving your algebra skills. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and then practice solving various problems to strengthen your understanding and problem-solving abilities.

5. What are some common algebra mistakes to avoid?

Some common algebra mistakes to avoid include not following the proper order of operations, not distributing or combining like terms correctly, and forgetting to apply the correct sign when solving equations. It is important to pay attention to detail and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.