Algebra Help for Word Problems: Profit and Cost Analysis Explained

• Thread starter DennisG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: Nadia has seven more nickels than Dora has dimes. If Dora gives Nadia four of her dimes, then Dora will have the same value of money as Nadia. How much money do they have together.Let x be the number of dimes Dora has.Then Nadia has x+7 nickels.The value of Dora's money is 10x cents, and Nadia's is 5(x+7) cents.If Dora gives four of her dimes to Nadia, she will have 10(x-4) cents.Since they will have the same amount of money, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for x
DennisG
Ok, so I feel like a big idiot for having to ask this but, my sister needed help with her algebra homework and I cannot for the life of me remember how to do these. I guess it's just the way the problems are worded. If anyone could help with an explanation for each problem so that I can explain it to her, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. A student company made some school book covers at a cost of 10 cents each. They sold all but three of them at 15 cents each. Their profit was 90 cents. How many covers did they make.

2. Nadia has seven more nickels than Dora has dimes. If Dora gives Nadia four of her dimes, then Dora will have the same value of money as Nadia. How much money do they have together.

3. Acme Appliance Company bought several Model H television sets costing $325.00 each. They gave away one set as a door prize and sold the rest for $399.00 each. If their profit was $1,821.00 , find out how many sets they bought.

4. Some Booster Club members made cupcakes at a cost of 20 cents each. They sold all but two at 30 cents each. If the clubs profit was $3.00 , how many cupcakes did they make.

...stupid word problems, thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1] profit = revenue - cost

2] Pretty simple

Nadia has x+7 amount of coins @ 0.05 value
Dora has x amount of coins @ 0.1 value
For the case where:
Nadia has x+7 amount of coins @ 0.05 and 4 coins @ 0.1 she has the same amount of money as Dora with x-4 amount of coins @0.1

This is assuming that Nadia didn't have any dimes to begin with, or quarters, or that blasted toonie.

3]

Well agian.

Profit = revenue - cost

In this case they sold x amount of televisions @ 399.99 bones, but bought one more then the sold. So they bought x+1 amount of sets @ $325.00

4]
This is pretty much the same as the one before it, except they are selling cupcakes and didn't sell two, instead of just one.

DennisG said:
1. A student company made some school book covers at a cost of 10 cents each. They sold all but three of them at 15 cents each. Their profit was 90 cents. How many covers did they make.
The idea is to write the data as equations, and then solve them for the unknown variable.

Let x be the number of covers made.
Then the costs for making the covers were: 10x cents.
The money they collected for selling them was: (x-3)15 cents.
So the profit is the difference between these two and equals 90 cents.
You can find x from that.

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations.

What are some common algebraic operations?

Some common algebraic operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation.

How can I simplify algebraic expressions?

To simplify algebraic expressions, you can combine like terms, use the distributive property, and apply the rules of exponents.

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is a set of rules that determines the sequence in which operations should be performed in an expression. It is often remembered as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction).

What are some tips for solving algebraic equations?

Some tips for solving algebraic equations include simplifying the equation, isolating the variable, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.