1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Algebra

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm stuck on this problem please help me

find the range of this equation

y = (x^2 - 4)/(x^2 - x - 12)

I know that it is [1/3,-infintiy]U[?,infinity]
    yes I'm having trouble with that ?
    At first I was like ok there should be a horizontal asymptote at y=1 there is in calculus deffinition the image as x approaches infinity from both sides right? or is just infinity... but ya it appraoches one from both sides but it corsses one at x=-8 check the graph so how do I find how low it goes at this section also I can't use a calculator well I can but am suppose to show all work with out using one i.e. have one to use not suppose to use it thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    Y = (x²-4)/(x²-x-12)

If you factor out the top and bottom of the equation you end up with

(x-2)(x+2) //Use the "difference of squares formula"
    ----------
    (x+3)(x-4)

correct?

With no further simplifying to do, the only course of action you can really take is to figure out what Y cannot be right? What would the denominator have to equal, for the equation to have no solution?

4. Jul 23, 2010 #3
    -3 and 4... but that wasn't my question I was asking for the range... please help me with that

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
  6. Jul 23, 2010 #5
    well I read them still can't solve the problem :(

7. Jul 23, 2010 #6
    apparently I do this I don't understand what this guy is saying... or were he got .337 I got 1/3...

(-∞ , 0.337] U [ 0.969,∞)....look at the critical values and evaluate the function as well as doing the VA consideration .....and you certainly will need a numerical calculator to find the critical values and function values

8. Jul 23, 2010 #7
    can someone please show me the calc to do this

9. Jul 23, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

QuarkCharmer gave you a hint. The numerator factors into (x+3)(x-4). So your function goes to infinity at x=(-3) and x=4. Use calculus to figure out what happens in the intervals (-infinity,-3), (-3,4) and (4,infinity) and put them together to get the total range.

10. Jul 23, 2010 #9
    Can you please help me with this part... I have to use the chain rule right and the product rule to find the critical values correct then what do I do?

11. Jul 23, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you just need the quotient rule to differentiate (x²-4)/(x²-x-12). Simplify it, set it equal to zero and solve for the critical points.

12. Jul 23, 2010 #11
    what do I do after finding the critical points? Sorry i forgot how to do this stuff I should be able to find them eaisly but I don't remeber what to do after I find them...

13. Jul 23, 2010 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is kind of disappointing you don't know. The critical points are candidates for being maxes or mins on each interval. What you are basically doing is sketching a graph of y. Do that. Find the value at the critical points, find the limiting behavior at each side of x=-3 and x=4, and put that together with what you already know, that y=1 is a horizontal asymptote. Now draw a nice sketch of the function. Deduce the range from that.

14. Jul 24, 2010 #13
    Yeah, super disappointing.

After finding critical points, you could use a sign chart to determine which are maxima and which are minima

15. Jul 24, 2010 #14
    ok well I posted this in the calc section sorry I posted it here didn't realize it would invovle calculus but ya I found the cirtical values still couldn't solve the problem though even with a sign chart... please help me

16. Jul 24, 2010 #15

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know the critical points you can sketch the function. Find out how it behaves around -3 and 4. Where is it positive and where is it negative?

ehild

17. Jul 24, 2010 #16
    I found them it didn't do me anything check other topic

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook