Help with Algebra Homework: Range of y = (x^2 - 4)/(x^2 - x - 12)

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the range of the equation y = (x^2 - 4)/(x^2 - x - 12) is (-∞, 0.337] U [0.969, ∞), with a horizontal asymptote at y = 1 and critical points at x = -3 and x = 4. The function can be sketched to determine the behavior around the critical points and find the positive and negative intervals. The quotient rule and chain rule may be used to find the critical points.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

I'm stuck on this problem please help me

find the range of this equation

y = (x^2 - 4)/(x^2 - x - 12)

I know that it is [1/3,-infintiy]U[?,infinity]
yes I'm having trouble with that ?
At first I was like ok there should be a horizontal asymptote at y=1 there is in calculus deffinition the image as x approaches infinity from both sides right? or is just infinity... but you it appraoches one from both sides but it corsses one at x=-8 check the graph so how do I find how low it goes at this section also I can't use a calculator well I can but am suppose to show all work without using one i.e. have one to use not suppose to use it thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Y = (x²-4)/(x²-x-12)

If you factor out the top and bottom of the equation you end up with

(x-2)(x+2) //Use the "difference of squares formula"
----------
(x+3)(x-4)

correct?

With no further simplifying to do, the only course of action you can really take is to figure out what Y cannot be right? What would the denominator have to equal, for the equation to have no solution?

-3 and 4... but that wasn't my question I was asking for the range... please help me with that

well I read them still can't solve the problem :(

apparently I do this I don't understand what this guy is saying... or were he got .337 I got 1/3...

(-∞ , 0.337] U [ 0.969,∞)...look at the critical values and evaluate the function as well as doing the VA consideration ...and you certainly will need a numerical calculator to find the critical values and function values

can someone please show me the calc to do this

QuarkCharmer gave you a hint. The numerator factors into (x+3)(x-4). So your function goes to infinity at x=(-3) and x=4. Use calculus to figure out what happens in the intervals (-infinity,-3), (-3,4) and (4,infinity) and put them together to get the total range.

Can you please help me with this part... I have to use the chain rule right and the product rule to find the critical values correct then what do I do?

I think you just need the quotient rule to differentiate (x²-4)/(x²-x-12). Simplify it, set it equal to zero and solve for the critical points.

what do I do after finding the critical points? Sorry i forgot how to do this stuff I should be able to find them eaisly but I don't remeber what to do after I find them...

It is kind of disappointing you don't know. The critical points are candidates for being maxes or mins on each interval. What you are basically doing is sketching a graph of y. Do that. Find the value at the critical points, find the limiting behavior at each side of x=-3 and x=4, and put that together with what you already know, that y=1 is a horizontal asymptote. Now draw a nice sketch of the function. Deduce the range from that.

Yeah, super disappointing.

After finding critical points, you could use a sign chart to determine which are maxima and which are minima

ok well I posted this in the calc section sorry I posted it here didn't realize it would invovle calculus but you I found the cirtical values still couldn't solve the problem though even with a sign chart... please help me

If you know the critical points you can sketch the function. Find out how it behaves around -3 and 4. Where is it positive and where is it negative?

ehild

I found them it didn't do me anything check other topic

What is the range of the given algebraic equation?

The range of an algebraic equation is the set of all possible values that the dependent variable (y) can take on for any given input of the independent variable (x). In this case, the range of y = (x^2 - 4)/(x^2 - x - 12) is all real numbers except for -4, -1, and 3.

How do I find the range of a rational function?

To find the range of a rational function, you can follow these steps:1. Simplify the function as much as possible.2. Determine any restrictions on the domain of the function (values of x that would make the denominator equal to 0).3. Use a graphing calculator or graphing software to visualize the function and identify the highest and lowest points on the graph.4. Write the range using interval notation, including the highest and lowest points as endpoints.

What is the difference between domain and range?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values (x) for which the function is defined. The range, on the other hand, is the set of all possible output values (y) that the function can produce for those input values. In other words, the domain is the set of x-values and the range is the set of y-values.

Can the range of a function be the same as the domain?

Yes, it is possible for the range and the domain of a function to be the same if the function is a one-to-one function. This means that each input (x) has a unique output (y) and vice versa. However, in most cases, the range and domain will be different sets of values.

How can I check if my answer for the range is correct?

You can check your answer for the range by plugging in different values for x and making sure that the resulting y-values fall within the range you calculated. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and visually confirm that the range you calculated is correct.