Proof: Help with Algebra: a^2 (1 + b^4) + b^2(1 + a^4)

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, to prove that a^2 (1 + b^4) + b^2(1 + a^4) \leq (1 + a^4)(1 + b^4), we can factorize the expression to (a^2 + b^2)(1+a^2b^2) and then use the fact that X > Y is equivalent to X-Y > 0. By rearranging the terms, we can show that the expression (1-a^2)^2(1+b^4)+(1-b^2)^2(1+a^4) is greater than or equal to zero, therefore proving the original inequality.
recon
How can you proof that

[tex]a^2 (1 + b^4) + b^2(1 + a^4) \leq (1 + a^4)(1 + b^4)[/tex]?

I factorised [tex]a^2 (1 + b^4) + b^2(1 + a^4)[/tex] to [tex](a^2 + b^2)(1+a^2b^2)[/tex], but I don't really know where to go from here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming a and b are real, what do you know must be true about the following expression?

[tex](1-a^2)^2(1+b^4)+(1-b^2)^2(1+a^4)[/tex]

I get it now. Thanks!

BTW, does anyone know a good site that teaches you factoring 'tricks'?

This isn't a factoring trick, but just a common observation that if you want to show

X > Y

then this is the same as showing

X-Y > 0

and what do we know is always positive?

PBRMEASAP said:
Assuming a and b are real, what do you know must be true about the following expression?

[tex](1-a^2)^2(1+b^4)+(1-b^2)^2(1+a^4)[/tex]

I don't see how you got this.

Divine inspiration, perhaps?

erraticimpulse said:
I don't see how you got this.

The general procedure is:

Take the original inequality that you are trying to prove and move everything over to one side, so that you have (stuff) >= 0. Now rearrange (stuff) so that it consists entirely of squares of real numbers, added and multiplied together. Since such an expression is automatically greater than or equal to zero, the original inequality must be true.

If it turns out that such a rearrangement can't be made, then you can't prove the inequality without more information about a and b, such as a > b or something similar. But in this example it was possible.

I think you misundestood me. It's not the concept I don't understand, just the result. I don't see how you got to that expression.

Oops, sorry about that. Start with the expression that we want to show is greater than or equal to zero.

[tex](1+a^4)(1+b^4)-a^2(1+b^4)-b^2(1+a^4)[/tex]

Since we are showing this is >= zero, it doesn't change anything to multiply the expression by a positive number, namely 2.

[tex]2(1+a^4)(1+b^4)-2a^2(1+b^4)-2b^2(1+a^4)[/tex]

Split up the first term:

[tex](1+a^4)(1+b^4)-2a^2(1+b^4)+(1+a^4)(1+b^4)-2b^2(1+a^4)[/tex]

Now collect terms 1 and 2 together, and 3 and 4 together, and you end up with the expression you are looking for.

What is the purpose of the equation a^2 (1 + b^4) + b^2(1 + a^4)?

The purpose of this equation is to help simplify and solve algebraic expressions involving variables a and b.

How do I solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you can use the distributive property to expand the parentheses and then combine like terms. Once the equation is simplified, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula to solve for the variables a and b.

What are the possible values of a and b that satisfy this equation?

There are infinite possible values of a and b that can satisfy this equation. You can solve for specific values by plugging in numbers for a and b and checking if the equation holds true.

Can this equation be solved without using algebraic methods?

No, this equation requires the use of algebraic methods to solve for the variables a and b. It cannot be solved purely through arithmetic operations.

How can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be used to model various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the area of a rectangle with sides a and b, or finding the total cost of an item with a base price of a and a sales tax rate of b%. It can also be used in physics and engineering to solve for variables in equations involving power and energy.