1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with ampere's law problem

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    urgent help with ampere's law problem

The problem reads as: Consider a hollow wire of inner radius a and outer radius b carrying a current I. Use Ampere's law to find the magnitude of the magnetic field B(r) as a function of distance r from the center of the wire.

A) What is the current density in the wire?

B) What is B(r) in the center hollow of the wire (r < a)?

C) What is B(r) inside the metal part of the wire (a < r < b)?

D) What is B(r) outside the wire (r > b)?

HEre is the diagram:http://www.mustangmods.com/data/16002/untitled1.jpg

Here is my work, i don't beleive i am doing it right for what it is asking.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/16002/image15.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2
    can anyone help?

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    I wish I could help but magnetism isnt a strong point of mine. What I can tell you is this helped me alot last semester when I was taking the course.

A) Current density is current per unit area, your unit area here is [itex] \pi (b^2-a^2) [/itex]

B) In a solenoid there is a magnetic field between, but I'm not sure for a cylindrical wire.

C) If there was a magnetic field inside the wire, it would affect the flow of current drastically. I doubt there is one.

D) I'm quite confident there is a magnetic field outside.

Again, don't bet on my answers, but I hope it gives you some pointers until someone else helps/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?