Help with an accelerated atwood's machine

• Thread starter diegojco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Atwood's machine, with two masses and an upward acceleration. The equations for the net force on each mass are shown, but it is mentioned that there are infinite solutions due to the variables involved. The speaker requests a solution to the problem as soon as possible.
diegojco
well, I have tried many ways to get the solution to this problem, but i have two great obstacles:

We have atwood's machine with to masses m1 and m2, machine is accelerated upwards with an acceleration a. Find accelerations a1 and a2 for masses m1 and m2 respectively and find the tension.

Well, I have wrote the ecuations:

-T+(m1)g+(m1)(a1)=(m1)(a)
T-(m2)g-(m2)(a2)=(m2)(a)

since net force at m1 and m2 are the sum of the forces, including the fictious force introduced because this is a non-inertial system.

But I must find a new ecuation because this system has infinite solutions since I have the variables T, a1, a2. where are the other ecuation, or what's the mistake in thinking?

Please answer me the fast as it can be possible

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I understand that you are struggling with finding the solution to the accelerated Atwood's machine problem. It seems like you have set up the equations correctly, but you are missing one more equation to solve for the three variables (T, a1, a2).

One additional equation that you can use is the fact that the masses are connected by a string and therefore, their accelerations must be the same. This means that a1 = a2 = a. This should help you to solve for the tension and accelerations of the masses.

I would also recommend checking your calculations and making sure that you have the correct signs for the forces and accelerations. Sometimes, a mistake in signs can lead to incorrect solutions.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. How does an accelerated Atwood's machine work?

An accelerated Atwood's machine is a simple machine consisting of a pulley, a string, and two masses. The heavier mass accelerates downwards due to gravity, while the lighter mass accelerates upwards. This creates a net force on the system, causing it to accelerate.

2. What is the acceleration of an Atwood's machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine can be calculated using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. How can I calculate the tension in the string of an Atwood's machine?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the formula T = (m1 - m2)g, where m1 and m2 are the masses and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This assumes that the string is massless and there is no friction in the system.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of an Atwood's machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood's machine is affected by the difference in masses between the two objects, the force of gravity, and any external forces acting on the system (such as friction or air resistance).

5. How can I increase the acceleration of an Atwood's machine?

To increase the acceleration of an Atwood's machine, you can increase the difference in masses between the two objects or decrease the mass of the pulley. Additionally, reducing any external forces (such as friction or air resistance) can also increase the acceleration.