Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with an acceleration graph problem.

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    I cant for the life of me figure this out. The question is, based on this graph, determine the total distance the particle traveled during the first 20 seconds.

http://seminario.no-ip.com/graph.gif [Broken]

I graphed the velocity graph just fine based on the acceleration graph. but the position graph is a little trickier. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you are given the initial velocity? The motion is three periods of constant acceleration: 0 to 10 seconds, 10 to 15 seconds, and 15 to 20 seconds. Do it step by step, one period at a time.

4. Sep 7, 2004 #3
    thanks Doc Al. I did this, dividing the three regions of the velocity graph and calculated the area beneath each of those regions. I came up with 215 meters but the online assignment checker counted it as wrong so I am a little confused.

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4
    what's the initial velocity?

6. Sep 7, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Two things to do. (1) If you are familiar with the kinematic equations (such as [itex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2[/itex]) you can just calculate the distance as a double check of your work. (2) You can show us your velocity graph and we can take a look at how you solved this.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook