Help with an acceleration graph problem.

In summary, a student is struggling to determine the total distance a particle traveled based on a given graph. They successfully graphed the velocity and acceleration, but are having trouble with the position graph. They receive advice to break the problem into three periods and calculate the area under each region, resulting in a distance of 215 meters. However, the online assignment checker marked it as incorrect, so the student is seeking clarification. Two suggestions are given: to use kinematic equations and to share the velocity graph for further review.
FabioTTT
I can't for the life of me figure this out. The question is, based on this graph, determine the total distance the particle traveled during the first 20 seconds.

http://seminario.no-ip.com/graph.gif

I graphed the velocity graph just fine based on the acceleration graph. but the position graph is a little trickier. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are given the initial velocity? The motion is three periods of constant acceleration: 0 to 10 seconds, 10 to 15 seconds, and 15 to 20 seconds. Do it step by step, one period at a time.

thanks Doc Al. I did this, dividing the three regions of the velocity graph and calculated the area beneath each of those regions. I came up with 215 meters but the online assignment checker counted it as wrong so I am a little confused.

what's the initial velocity?

FabioTTT said:
thanks Doc Al. I did this, dividing the three regions of the velocity graph and calculated the area beneath each of those regions. I came up with 215 meters but the online assignment checker counted it as wrong so I am a little confused.
Two things to do. (1) If you are familiar with the kinematic equations (such as [itex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2[/itex]) you can just calculate the distance as a double check of your work. (2) You can show us your velocity graph and we can take a look at how you solved this.

What is an acceleration graph?

An acceleration graph is a visual representation of an object's acceleration over time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over time, with the slope of the graph representing the object's acceleration.

How do I interpret an acceleration graph?

To interpret an acceleration graph, you need to look at the slope of the line. A positive slope indicates a positive acceleration, meaning the object is speeding up. A negative slope indicates a negative acceleration, meaning the object is slowing down. A horizontal line indicates a constant acceleration, and a vertical line indicates a change in direction.

How do I calculate acceleration from an acceleration graph?

To calculate acceleration from an acceleration graph, you can use the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. You can also find the slope of the line on the graph, which represents the object's acceleration.

What are some common units for acceleration on a graph?

The most common units for acceleration on an acceleration graph are meters per second squared (m/s²) or centimeters per second squared (cm/s²). However, any unit of distance over time squared can be used for acceleration.

How can I use an acceleration graph to solve a problem?

An acceleration graph can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding an object's velocity at a specific time or determining the distance traveled by an object. By analyzing the graph and using the appropriate formulas, you can solve for different variables related to the object's motion.