1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an acceleration graph problem.

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    I cant for the life of me figure this out. The question is, based on this graph, determine the total distance the particle traveled during the first 20 seconds.

http://seminario.no-ip.com/graph.gif

I graphed the velocity graph just fine based on the acceleration graph. but the position graph is a little trickier. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I assume you are given the initial velocity? The motion is three periods of constant acceleration: 0 to 10 seconds, 10 to 15 seconds, and 15 to 20 seconds. Do it step by step, one period at a time.

4. Sep 7, 2004 #3
    thanks Doc Al. I did this, dividing the three regions of the velocity graph and calculated the area beneath each of those regions. I came up with 215 meters but the online assignment checker counted it as wrong so I am a little confused.

5. Sep 7, 2004 #4
    what's the initial velocity?

6. Sep 7, 2004 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Two things to do. (1) If you are familiar with the kinematic equations (such as [itex]x = x_0 + v_0 t + 1/2 a t^2[/itex]) you can just calculate the distance as a double check of your work. (2) You can show us your velocity graph and we can take a look at how you solved this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?