Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an easy ODE

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    so i'm in my second week of my first differential equations class, and i can't seem to get this problem.

Show that 5x2y2 - 2x3y2 = 1 is an implicit solution of the differential equation x(dy/dx) + y = x3y3 on the interval 0 < x < 5/2

for dy/dx, i got (3xy-5y)/(5x-4x2), i'm pretty sure it's right, but if it's not then it might be why i can't quite get this. i also solved for y explicitly, but then i realized i could just factor it out.

well that's what i did, and all i end up with is just a big polynomial... i'm sure i'm doing it wrong. help please?

edit: alright alright i just saw the sticky... truth be told i just google differential equations forum and signed up real quick to post this, so i was in a hurry. sorry i posted this is the wrong forum :(

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that derivative is not right. Just use "implicit differentiation" to get [itex]10xy^2dx+ 10x^2ydy- 5x^2y^2dx- 4x^3y dy= 0[/itex]. Rearrange those to [itex](10xy^2- 5x^2y)dx+ (10x^2y- 4x^3y)dy= 0[/itex]. That, now, is the same as [itex]dy/dx= -(10xy^2- 5x^2y)/(10x^2y- 4x^3y)[/itex]. Factor and reduce that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook