Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an English term

  1. May 4, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

    I need a help for a term that it wil be used in a publication.

    I have a force signal collect on a moving vehicle. I have framed it into 4 segments (i.e. s1, s2, s3 and s4) where the width of the segments is 100 m. The signal is time sampled, the vehicle speed is variable and therefore the temporal width of each segment may vary among the different segments.

    For each segment I computed the average value and therefore I obtain 4 different values (i.e. sm1, sm2, sm3 and sm4). Is it correct to use the term "distance-segmented mean values" as a general term for sm1, sm2, sm3 and sm4? I need a kind of short form for the y-label of a plot.

    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2016 #2
    mean value!
  4. May 4, 2016 #3
    It's OK with me.
  5. May 4, 2016 #4
    But I think the shorter the label for the x/y axis, the better it looks. More details for explaining what it is can be summarized in the Figure #: that usually goes with the plotted image.
  6. May 4, 2016 #5
    Thank you so much!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted