Help with an inductive proof

• Thread starter NuPowerbook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the series 2, 2, 6, 10, 22, 42, 86, 170, 342, 682 follows the function M(n) where M(1)=2, M(2)=2, and M(n) is the sum of all previous values, adding 2 if n is odd. The function for M(n) is represented as: - If n is odd: (2^(n+1)+2)/3- If n is even: (2^(n+1)-2)/3To prove this function, a proof by induction is done. The case for n=1 is easily verified. Then, assuming the function is true for all terms
NuPowerbook
I have the series 2, 2, 6, 10, 22, 42, 86, 170, 342, 682 which follows the following:

M(1)=2
M(2)=2
M(3)=M(1)+M(2)+2
M(4)=M(3)+M(2)+M(1)
M(5)=M(4)+M(3)+M(2)+M(1)+2
M(6)=M(5)+M(4)+M(3)+M(2)+M(1)

Each value for M(N) for N >= 3 is the sum of all previous values, and add 2 if N is odd.

I found that these two functions describe the sum:
[tex]\mbox{If N is odd: }\frac{2^{n+1}+2}{3}[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{If N is even: }\frac{2^{n+1}-2}{3}[/tex]

Can anyone help me inductively prove this?

EDIT: I guess I tried to represent it as a function and failed. If someone can represent this as a summation for me, then I could probably figure out the inductive proof. I guess my whole problem was I tried to represent it as a recursive function, and since the function was wrong, I could not prove it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A proof by induction is done as follows. Show the case is true for the first term, n=1. This should be easy, just plug in and verify. Then you need to show that given the expression is true for all terms before the nth term, show that it then must be true for the nth term. In this case, assume the sum expression of the first n-1 terms is accurate, then show that adding the nth term will give the same result as the sum expression evaluated at n.

StatusX said:
A proof by induction is done as follows. Show the case is true for the first term, n=1. This should be easy, just plug in and verify. Then you need to show that given the expression is true for all terms before the nth term, show that it then must be true for the nth term. In this case, assume the sum expression of the first n-1 terms is accurate, then show that adding the nth term will give the same result as the sum expression evaluated at n.
I know how to do an inductive proof, but I am just not sure how to prove this. I've never done an inductive proof on a piecewise function where the proof depends on whether the nth term is even or odd.

OK, the way I would do it is to use the sum formulas to generate a pair of equations for M(n) if n is even or odd. For example, if n is odd, subtract the even sum expression for n-1 from the odd expression for n. Then prove by induction that these satisfy the generating equation. Remember, if n is odd, n-1 is even and n-2 is odd.

Edit: wait, those expressions are for M(n). Why did you call them the sum? In any case, that just makes your job easier.

second edit: that formula only matches the generating equation for the first few terms (up to 10). 10+6+2 != 22. no wonder you had a hard time proving it.

Last edited:
StatusX said:
OK, the way I would do it is to use the sum formulas to generate a pair of equations for M(n) if n is even or odd. For example, if n is odd, subtract the even sum expression for n-1 from the odd expression for n. Then prove by induction that these satisfy the generating equation. Remember, if n is odd, n-1 is even and n-2 is odd.

Edit: wait, those expressions are for M(n). Why did you call them the sum? In any case, that just makes your job easier.

second edit: that formula only matches the generating equation for the first few terms (up to 10). 10+6+2 != 22. no wonder you had a hard time proving it.

Oh bah, I messed up the formula. It should be correct now.

Take M(6)-M(5). This should show you a pattern you can use to get two expressions for M(n)-M(n-1), one for even n and one for odd n. Prove this relation holds for your formulas as well.

Also, the equation you're looking for is:

[tex] M(n) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} M(k), &\mbox{n even}\\ 2+\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} M(k), &\mbox{n odd}\end{array} [/tex]

Last edited:

What is an inductive proof?

An inductive proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses a series of logical steps to show that a statement is true for all cases within a specific set or pattern.

How is an inductive proof different from a deductive proof?

An inductive proof is different from a deductive proof because it uses specific examples to prove a general statement, while a deductive proof starts with a general statement and uses logical reasoning to prove specific cases.

What are the steps involved in an inductive proof?

The steps involved in an inductive proof include: stating the base case, which is the first case in the pattern; assuming the statement is true for a specific case; showing that if the statement is true for one case, it is also true for the next case; and repeating this process until the desired conclusion is reached.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when writing an inductive proof?

Common mistakes to avoid when writing an inductive proof include: assuming the statement is true without first proving it; using insufficient or incorrect examples; and failing to consider all possible cases or patterns.

How can I improve my skills in writing inductive proofs?

To improve your skills in writing inductive proofs, you can practice solving various problems using this method, seek feedback from peers or instructors, and study examples of well-written proofs. It is also important to have a good understanding of mathematical concepts and logical reasoning.