Help Solve Integral: I = \int_0 ^{\pi}dt\sqrt{k^2 + \sin^2t}

• Thread starter phsopher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about trying to reproduce an approximation for an integral and obtaining the expansion of a special function in terms of another variable. The integral and its approximation are discussed, and it is suggested to use the properties of special functions to obtain the desired result. Suggestions for further reading on the topic are also provided.
phsopher
I was reading a paper where the following integral appears:

[tex]I = \int_0 ^{\pi}dt\sqrt{k^2 + \sin^2t}[/tex]

In the limit [itex]k^2 \ll 1[/itex] the authors present the following approximation

[tex]I \approx 2 + \frac{k^2}{2}\left(\ln{\frac{1}{k^2}} + 4\ln 2 + 1\right).[/tex]

I'm trying to reproduce this result but with no luck. Any idea how it should go? I've plotted both expressions as a function of k and they indeed agree for small k.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try expanding the square root near k^2=0? then dropping terms of higher order than 1 in k^2.

I'm a bit confused why k should be a lot smaller than 2 and not 1

Sorry that was a typo on my part, it should of course be [itex]k^2 \ll 1[/itex].

I don't see how to expand it around k^2=0 since the derivative with respect to k^2 diverges at k^2=0. In any case the result I want to get is not a polynomial in k^2 so I need a different approach.

Last edited:
Hi !

This is a complete elliptic integral of the second kind.
If one knows the properties of these kind of special functions, the expansion leads to the expected approximation.
In attachment, more terms of the expansion are provided.

Attachments

• Eliptic integral.JPG
    Eliptic integral.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 384
JJacquelin said:
Hi !

This is a complete elliptic integral of the second kind.
If one knows the properties of these kind of special functions, the expansion leads to the expected approximation.
In attachment, more terms of the expansion are provided.

Thank you, that was very helpful. And now that I know what it's called I can plot using the inbuilt Mathematica functions; plotting the actual integral took ages.

However, I would still like to know how to obtain the expansion of E(p) in terms of q. Do you happen to know where it comes from?

phsopher said:
However, I would still like to know how to obtain the expansion of E(p) in terms of q. Do you happen to know where it comes from?

The properties of special functions such as E(p) were studied one century ago and earlier.
They are gathered in the mathematical handbooks. For example :
M.Abramowitz, I.A.Stegun, "Handbook of Mathematical Functions", Dover Publications, N.-Y., 1972
J.Spanier, K.B.Oldham, "An Atlas of Functions", Hemisphere Pubishing Corporation, Springer-Verlag, 1987.
Good luck if you want to find the original manuscripts or books.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. What is the value of k in the integral I = \int_0 ^{\pi}dt\sqrt{k^2 + \sin^2t}?

K is a constant that is used to represent a specific value in the integral. Its value can vary and is usually determined by the context of the problem.

3. How do you solve the integral I = \int_0 ^{\pi}dt\sqrt{k^2 + \sin^2t}?

To solve this integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the integral and the tools available.

4. What is the significance of the limits of integration in the integral I = \int_0 ^{\pi}dt\sqrt{k^2 + \sin^2t}?

The limits of integration, 0 and π in this case, determine the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. In other words, it represents the range of values for the independent variable, t, for which the function is being integrated.

5. Can this integral be solved analytically or numerically?

This integral can be solved analytically, using mathematical techniques to find a closed-form solution. It can also be solved numerically, using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to approximate the value of the integral.