Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an integral

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    This is not a homework question but something that has come up during work and I just need some guidance on what is the best way to solve this.

I am computing a quantity where one of the terms to compute is a derivative of an integral of the form

[itex]\nabla_{\mu}log\left(Z(\mu, \Sigma)\right)[/itex] where [itex]Z(\mu, \Sigma)[/itex] is of the form [itex]\int t(w) \, q(w) \,dw[/itex]. My plan was to first get an expression for Z and then take the derivative.

Now, [itex]q(w)[/itex] is a Gaussian distribution on w and is given by [itex]K_1 \exp\left(-0.5 (w-\mu)^{T} \Lambda (w-\mu)\right)[/itex] where [itex]K_1[/itex] is a constant and [itex]T[/itex] denotes a transpose operation, [itex]\Lambda[/itex] is the inverse of the covariance matrix associated with the Gaussian.

Similarly, [itex]t(w)[/itex] is also a Gaussian but not on [itex]w[/itex]. t(w) can be written as:

[itex]t(w) = K_2 \exp\left(-0.5 (y-f(x, w))^{T} \Sigma (y-f(x, w)\right)[/itex]

where [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are two observed quantities and can be treated as constants. [itex]f[/itex] is some non-linear function of [itex]w[/itex].

So, ultimately I need to compute Z as an integral of this complicated expression given by:

[itex] Z = \int \left[K_2 \exp\left(-0.5 (y-f(x, w))^{T} \Sigma (y-f(x, w)\right)\right] \; \left[K_1 \exp\left(-0.5 (w-\mu)^{T} \Lambda (w-\mu)\right)\right] dw
    [/itex]

I must admit my upper level calculus skills are not great. I was wondering if someone can comment on how to go about or if there is some other simplifications I can do to solve this.

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted