Solve the Integral: \int \sin(2x).\sin(x)dx | Expert Help Available

• Thread starter tiagobt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation includes a request for help with solving an integral involving trigonometric functions. One person suggests using the product/sum formula and another person provides a specific procedure using a substitution. The second person also mentions another method using the product/sum formula. Ultimately, the integral is solved using the substitution method and the final solution is given.
tiagobt
Could anyone help me solve the following integral?

[tex]\int \sin(2x).\sin(x)dx[/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the product/sum formula for trigonometric functions.

arildno said:
Use the product/sum formula for trigonometric functions.
Do you mean [tex]sin(2x)=2.sinx.cosx[/tex] ? Like this:

[tex]\int 2sinx.cosx.sinx.dx[/tex]
[tex]= 2 \int sin^2x.cosx.dx[/tex]
[tex]= 2 \int (1 - cos^2x)cosx.dx[/tex]
[tex]= 2 \int cosx dx - 2\int cos^3x.dx[/tex]

Is that what you mean? I can solve the first integral... But not the second.

It wasn't what I meant, but since your own procedure can be used as well, I'll help you out along the track you chose.
You have established:
[tex]\int\sin(2x)\sin(x)dx=2\int\sin^{2}x\cos(x)dx[/tex]
Now, use the substitution
[tex]u=\sin(x)[/tex]
Then, we have:
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=\cos(x)\to{dx}=\frac{du}{\cos(x)}[/tex]
Thus, we have gained:
[tex]\int\sin(2x)\sin(x)dx=2\int{u}^{2}du=\frac{2}{3}u^{3}+C=\frac{2}{3}\sin^{3}x+C[/tex]

Thanks! It's actually easier than I thought.

If you are interested in another way to do this, we have for any choices a,b the equalities:
[tex]\cos(a+b)=\cos(a)\cos(b)-\sin(a)\sin(b),\cos(a-b)=\cos(a)\cos(b)+\sin(a)\sin(b)[/tex]
Combining these, we gain:
[tex]\sin(a)\sin(b)=\frac{1}{2}(\cos(a-b)-\cos(a+b))[/tex]
That is,
[tex]\sin(2x)\sin(x)=\frac{1}{2}(\cos(x)-\cos(3x))[/tex]

This is what I meant with "using the product/sum formula".

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is denoted by the symbol ∫.

2. How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves finding the antiderivative of a function and then evaluating it at the given limits. This can be done using various techniques such as integration by substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are the different types of integrals?

The two main types of integrals are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration and give a numerical value, while indefinite integrals do not have limits and give an expression with a constant of integration.

4. When do I use integration in real life?

Integration is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve to determine the total distance traveled by an object, finding the volume of a solid, and in many engineering and physics problems.

5. What are some tips for solving integrals?

Some tips for solving integrals include practicing various integration techniques, understanding the properties of integrals, and being familiar with common integration formulas. It is also helpful to check your answer by differentiating it and ensuring it matches the original function.