Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with an invention

1. Aug 8, 2004 #1
    Hello,
    My name is TJ Lydon. I have an invention that I am working on. I would like to ask the members of this forum for help determining whether or not I'm breaking any laws of science. My invention involves using compressed air release in water as the power source to generate electricity. It involves only mechanical problems.

Please let me know where I need to post my questions.

I would also be very interested in getting in email contact with people from this forum to discuss the specifics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This seems to be more of an engineering problem then a physics problem. You need to provide a bit more information before we can tell you if your expectations are non physical.

4. Aug 8, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, here's a place to start.

http://www.bubbleology.com/Hydrodynamics.html

I assume that you want to keep your idea a secret? I am suspicious that you may be working on a false premise. How does this provide a power source? Do you mean to use the bubbles to run a paddlewheel?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  5. Aug 8, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For privacy reasons I prefer not. If no one else chimes in and if you wish to get that serious about things then you should probably contact a local high school of college physics teacher - somebody that you can meet with directly. Also, I would be very low key in this approach. Most people will put up a wall pretty quickly with requests such as yours.

If you wish to PM me I can give you my word that your secret is safe with me, however your PM may not be entirely secret. I'm sure that Greg and Chroot are waiting now with baited breath. :biggrin:

6. Aug 8, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like another PMM, wot ?

7. Aug 9, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd be happy to look at the idea also. I hereby agree to non-disclosure and non-competition. I wonder if you came up with this idea while scuba diving?

- Warren

8. Aug 9, 2004 #7
    I like several aspects of the basic idea (using compressed air under water and somehow using the rising bubbles). Without knowing any more than that, I would say that you have to watch that it doesn't require more energy to compress the air and recover the spent canisters (if you use that type of delivery system) then can be created by the system.

9. Aug 10, 2004 #8

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

TJ, I edited out your personal contact info (phone number). You really don't want that floating out in freespace.

Anyone interested in contacting Mr. Lydon, please use our private messenging system or contact him through email.

[/mod hat]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?