Finding the Volume of a Rotated Arch Dam Using the Shell Method

• Thread starter Sentral
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of an arch dam that is rotated 150 degrees. The axis of rotation is 150 and the rotation is 150 degrees. The suggested method for solving this problem is the shell method, and the equations needed for this method are .03x^2-6.1x+240 for the interval 150 <= x <=204, 389 on the interval 204 < x < 220, and -6.593x+1839.46 on 220 <= x <= 279. The student has attempted to use the shell method by splitting the cross section into 3 parts and using the formula 2pi*int(x(.03x^2-6.1x+
Sentral

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of an arch dam that is rotated 150 degrees. The problem can be found at this link: http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/calculus_early/2e/students/downloads/mws6a.pdf" and it is number 4.

I know the axis of rotation is 150 and the rotation is 150 degrees.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure I will need to use the shell method. I'm also sure I will need to translate the equations 220 units to the right. So I get [tex].03x^2-6.1x+240[/tex] for the interval 150 <= x <=204. 389 on the interval 204 < x < 220. And [tex]-6.593x+1839.46[/tex] on 220 <= x <= 279.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have many attempts at the solution, but everytime I try I seem to get different answers, that I don't feel are correct. For example, I split the cross section into 3 parts. Which are 2 triangle looking shapes, and a rectangle. The problem says the axis of rotation is at 150. So the shell method I do [tex]2pi*int(x(.03x^2-6.1x+240))[/tex] and evaluate it for a=150 and b=204. Then I would multiply this number by (150/360) since it's only 150 degree rotation. Would I just do this for each of the sections?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong and how to solve this problem correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

1. What is an arch dam?

An arch dam is a type of dam structure that is curved in shape and designed to hold back large amounts of water. The curve of the dam helps distribute the weight of the water evenly, making it a strong and stable structure.

2. What is the problem with arch dams?

The main problem with arch dams is the potential for failure due to excessive water pressure. If the water pressure becomes too great, it can cause the dam to crack or collapse, leading to catastrophic flooding downstream.

3. What factors contribute to the failure of arch dams?

Several factors can contribute to the failure of arch dams, including poor design or construction, inadequate maintenance, and natural events such as earthquakes or landslides. The location and geology of the dam site can also play a role in its stability.

4. How can we prevent or mitigate the risks associated with arch dams?

To prevent or mitigate the risks associated with arch dams, thorough and careful design and construction are essential. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the dam's condition can also help identify and address any potential issues. In addition, implementing emergency response plans and conducting drills can help minimize the impact of a dam failure.

5. What are some current methods for addressing arch dam problems?

Some current methods for addressing arch dam problems include installing monitoring systems to track water pressure and structural integrity, reinforcing the dam with additional supports or materials, and conducting regular inspections and maintenance. Computer modeling and simulation techniques can also help identify potential issues and inform design improvements.