1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with arch dam problem

1. Oct 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the volume of an arch dam that is rotated 150 degrees. The problem can be found at this link: http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/larson/calculus_early/2e/students/downloads/mws6a.pdf" [Broken] and it is number 4.

I know the axis of rotation is 150 and the rotation is 150 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

I'm pretty sure I will need to use the shell method. I'm also sure I will need to translate the equations 220 units to the right. So I get [tex].03x^2-6.1x+240[/tex] for the interval 150 <= x <=204. 389 on the interval 204 < x < 220. And [tex]-6.593x+1839.46[/tex] on 220 <= x <= 279.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have many attempts at the solution, but everytime I try I seem to get different answers, that I don't feel are correct. For example, I split the cross section into 3 parts. Which are 2 triangle looking shapes, and a rectangle. The problem says the axis of rotation is at 150. So the shell method I do [tex]2pi*int(x(.03x^2-6.1x+240))[/tex] and evaluate it for a=150 and b=204. Then I would multiply this number by (150/360) since it's only 150 degree rotation. Would I just do this for each of the sections?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted