Get Help with Area Question Homework | Integral of cos2π from 0 to 1/2

• Thread starter student93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation is about finding the area under the graph of the function cos(2πx) from x=0 to x=1/2. The initial attempt at solving the problem resulted in an incorrect answer of 0, and the correct answer is 1/π. The discussion then focuses on how to properly set up the integral and consider the positive and negative regions of the graph. The final step is to combine the two integrals to find the total area.
student93

Homework Statement

Problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my Integral as ∫cos2π dx from 0 to 1/2 and get an answer of 0, which is incorrect.

The correct answer is 1/π, but I don't understand why etc.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-05-03 at 11.55.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-05-03 at 11.55.42 PM.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set my Integral as ∫cos2π dx from 0 to 1/2 and get an answer of 0, which is incorrect.

The correct answer is 1/π, but I don't understand why etc.

If you mean the integral of cos(2πx) from x=0 to x=1/2, then I think the answer is 0. But part of that area is above the x-axis and part is below. I think they want you to add them. Just doing the integral will subtract them.

Last edited:
Dick said:
If you mean the integral of cos(2πx) from x=0 to x=1/2, then I think the answer is 0. But part of that area is above the x-axis and part is below. I think they want you to add them. Just doing the integral will subtract them.

How exactly would I add them, what method should I use etc.?

student93 said:
How exactly would I add them, what method should I use etc.?

Graph the function from x= 0 to x=1/2, and see what Dick means.

@student93: Remember that ##\int_a^bf(x)~dx## is the area under the graph of ##y=f(x)## if ##f(x)\ge 0##. The more general form is $$
\text{Area} = \int_a^b y_{upper} - y_{lower}~dx$$The first formula above works because ##y_{upper} = f(x)## and ##y_{lower} = 0## when you are finding the area under a nonnegative function and above the ##x## axis. Do you see why ##\int_0^{\frac 1 2} \cos(2\pi x)~dx## isn't in the form ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}## in the integrand?

LCKurtz said:
@student93: Remember that ##\int_a^bf(x)~dx## is the area under the graph of ##y=f(x)## if ##f(x)\ge 0##. The more general form is $$
\text{Area} = \int_a^b y_{upper} - y_{lower}~dx$$The first formula above works because ##y_{upper} = f(x)## and ##y_{lower} = 0## when you are finding the area under a nonnegative function and above the ##x## axis. Do you see why ##\int_0^{\frac 1 2} \cos(2\pi x)~dx## isn't in the form ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}## in the integrand?

Yes, but then how do I find the area? I'm having trouble setting up an integral that works etc.

student93 said:
Yes, but then how do I find the area? I'm having trouble setting up an integral that works etc.

In the interval [0,1/2], where is cos(2*pi*x) positive and where is it negative? Integrate the regions separately and then think how to combine the numbers.

The shape is bounded also by the x axis. See picture. Imagine you have to paint the blue area on a wall. You need 1 litre paint to 1 m^2. Calculate how much paint you need. Can you use negative amount of paint?

ehild

Attachments

• area.JPG
    area.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 296
student93 said:

Look at ehild's picture in post #8. Notice that ##y_{upper}## and ##y_{lower}## are two piece functions. Set up two integrals accordingly.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width. This means that you multiply the length of the rectangle by its width to get the total area.

2. How do I find the area of a circle?

To find the area of a circle, you use the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. Simply square the radius and multiply it by π to get the area.

3. What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape, while area is the measure of the surface inside the shape. In other words, perimeter is the length of the boundary, while area is the size of the space inside the boundary.

4. How do I find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle, you use the formula A = 1/2 x base x height. The base is the length of the bottom side of the triangle, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any shape?

No, different shapes have different formulas for finding their area. Some common shapes and their area formulas include: square (A = side x side), parallelogram (A = base x height), and trapezoid (A = 1/2 x height x (base 1 + base 2)). It's important to identify the shape of the object and use the appropriate formula to find its area.