1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Area Question

1. May 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem is attached in this post.

2. Relevant equations

Problem is attached in this post.

3. The attempt at a solution

I set my Integral as ∫cos2π dx from 0 to 1/2 and get an answer of 0, which is incorrect.

The correct answer is 1/π, but I don't understand why etc.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean the integral of cos(2πx) from x=0 to x=1/2, then I think the answer is 0. But part of that area is above the x-axis and part is below. I think they want you to add them. Just doing the integral will subtract them.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  4. May 4, 2014 #3
    How exactly would I add them, what method should I use etc.?

5. May 4, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Graph the function from x= 0 to x=1/2, and see what Dick means.

6. May 4, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@student93: Remember that ##\int_a^bf(x)~dx## is the area under the graph of ##y=f(x)## if ##f(x)\ge 0##. The more general form is $$
    \text{Area} = \int_a^b y_{upper} - y_{lower}~dx$$The first formula above works because ##y_{upper} = f(x)## and ##y_{lower} = 0## when you are finding the area under a nonnegative function and above the ##x## axis. Do you see why ##\int_0^{\frac 1 2} \cos(2\pi x)~dx## isn't in the form ##y_{upper}-y_{lower}## in the integrand?

7. May 4, 2014 #6
    Yes, but then how do I find the area? I'm having trouble setting up an integral that works etc.

8. May 4, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the interval [0,1/2], where is cos(2*pi*x) positive and where is it negative? Integrate the regions separately and then think how to combine the numbers.

9. May 4, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The shape is bounded also by the x axis. See picture. Imagine you have to paint the blue area on a wall. You need 1 litre paint to 1 m^2. Calculate how much paint you need. Can you use negative amount of paint?

ehild

Attached Files:

10. May 4, 2014 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at ehild's picture in post #8. Notice that ##y_{upper}## and ##y_{lower}## are two piece functions. Set up two integrals accordingly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted