Do Transition Elements Follow Main Group Trends in Atomic Radius?

In summary, the conversation is about a lab on atomic radius and a question about whether transition elements follow the same trend as main group elements. The initial guess is yes, but the person is not confident. They ask for resources and advice from others.
Nx2
im just doing a lab right now on atomic radius' and there's one question that asks, Would the transition elements follow the same trend that the maingroup elements follow for their atomic radius'?

i guessing yes, but I am not too confident with my answer.

anyone have any idea or know of resources to get information on this?

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

- Tu

Physics news on Phys.org
First guess,based on own logic:"Though it's one of their inner shells (either 3,4,5 or 6d) that get's filled,i would say that it should increase with Z".

Advice for you:Take a periodic table and search for mean atomic radii...This is experimental physics and own logic (in particular,mine) could be faulty...Especially when the equations that would account for the correct result (the one predicted by experiment) are impossible to solve...

Daniel.

thanks a lot daniel, i appreciate it

- Tu

What is atomic radius?

Atomic radius is the distance from the nucleus of an atom to its outermost electron. It is often described as the size of an atom.

How is atomic radius measured?

Atomic radius is typically measured in picometers (pm) or angstroms (Å). It can be calculated using x-ray crystallography or spectroscopy techniques.

What factors affect atomic radius?

Atomic radius is primarily affected by the number of protons in an atom's nucleus, as well as the number of electron shells and the shielding effect of inner electrons.

Does atomic radius change across the periodic table?

Yes, atomic radius generally decreases from left to right across a period and increases from top to bottom down a group on the periodic table. This is due to changes in the number of protons and electron shells.

Why is understanding atomic radius important?

Atomic radius is an important concept in chemistry as it can help predict the reactivity and behavior of elements. It also helps in understanding the properties and trends of the periodic table.