Help with Banked Curves w/Friction Can someone show me how?

• Thread starter celticsthree4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a car driven on a banked curve with a given radius and bank angle. The maximum velocity the car can travel is calculated using a formula and the concept of friction. The conversation also offers tips on approaching similar problems and refers to a specific question for further practice.
celticsthree4
Could anyone explain to me how to go about solving these problems?
Example:
A Car is driven around a circe with a radius of 200m, bank angle 10 degrees. The static frictional coefficient is 0.60. Calculate the maximum velocity the car can travel (Vmax).
Please help!

I did this, but am not sure it is the correct way:(.6 + tan10)/(1-.6tan10) = v^2/rg

v^2 = 1703.36

v = 41/ 27 m/s

Is this correct or am I totally off??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the impatience, but I have a lot of problems like this, and I don't really understand this type, so could anyone explain it?

Thanks!

Start with the free body diagram and apply Newton's 2nd Law.

celtics, I can't tell exactly HOW you got what you did,
but generally speaking, the best approach is to
choose components parallel to the acceleration and to the velocity if possible
(here you can, so don't make a component parallel the slope)
Most folks don't do friction on banked curves as their first problem of the night!

Last edited:
try Vmax on the curve without banking and friction first, it's much easier resolve the forces. Then try with the banking...then add friction.

I agree with cyclovenom and lightgrav.

See question 23 on

http://www.physics247.com/members/physics40/015.php

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a banked curve?

A banked curve is a curved road or track that is designed to allow vehicles or objects to travel around it at a certain speed without the need for additional steering. It is typically higher on one side and lower on the other, creating a sloped surface.

2. How does friction affect banked curves?

Friction plays a crucial role in banked curves as it helps to keep the vehicle or object on the track. Without friction, the vehicle would slide off the track due to centripetal force.

3. What is the relationship between speed and the angle of a banked curve?

The angle of a banked curve is directly related to the speed at which the vehicle is traveling. The higher the speed, the steeper the angle of the banked curve should be in order to counteract the centripetal force and keep the vehicle on the track.

4. How do you calculate the angle of a banked curve?

The angle of a banked curve can be calculated using the formula: θ = tan-1(v2 / rg), where θ is the angle, v is the speed, r is the radius of the curve, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can you demonstrate how to solve a problem involving banked curves with friction?

Sure, here is an example: A car is traveling around a banked curve with a radius of 50 meters at a speed of 20 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the car's tires and the road is 0.3. What is the angle of the banked curve?
Using the formula θ = tan-1(v2 / rg), we can plug in the values: θ = tan-1((20 m/s)2 / (50 m)(9.8 m/s2)) = 23.5 degrees.