1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with basic linear algebra

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Theres two questions I need help with on m homework:

I need to prove algebraically that the linear system r + 2s = -b1 and 3r+5s = b2 has a solution for all numbers b1, b2

also: for vectors v and w prove that v-w and v+w are perpendicular if and only if the magnitude of v equals the magnitude of w.

3. The attempt at a solution The first question i multiplied the first equation by -3 and added the two equations together to get 11s = b2 - 3b1 but i have no idea where to go from there.

The second I proved that two vectors are perpendicular if their dot product is zero. I did the dot product of v-w and v+w an dgot [v1^2 - w1^2, . . . vn^2 - wn^2].here agian in stuck. any help please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

When you say prove algebraically, are you allowed to use matrices here? It's a lot easier if you could do so. Start by representing the linear system as an augmented matrix:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{*{20}c}1&2&-b_{1}\\3&5&b_{2}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

If you want to show that there are exactly 1 solutions for both r,s , you need to show that you can reduce the augmented matrix (the sub-matrix on the left) above to the identity matrix.

For the 2nd part, your approach is correct, but you should get this:

[tex](v+w)\cdot(v-w) = v\cdot v + v\cdot w - w\cdot v - w\cdot w [/tex]

You know where to go from here, right?

4. Jan 24, 2008 #3
    You are almost done. Solve for s, and sustitude the result in one of original the equations in order to find r.

Write the dot product [itex](\vec{v}-\vec{w})\cdot (\vec{v}+\vec{w})=0[/itex] and expand it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?