1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with basic log stuff

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1
    Here are some log questions that I don't really have any idea how to do. I'd appreciate any hints/help... (solve for x in all questions)

1. [itex]2^x + 4^x = 8^x [/itex]
    All I could think of doing was converting them to the same base. I don't see how to simplify the left side of the equation so I can equate the exponents (if that's what I have to do). If I take the log of both sides I just end up getting [itex] x log {2} + x log {4} = log {8} [/itex], and I don't know where to go from there.

2. [itex] log_x {2} = log_2x {8} [/itex]
    I really have no idea how to approach this.

3. solve for x in terms of y
    [itex] y = (e^2x - e^-2x) / 2 [/itex]
    Again, no idea. (specifically, I don't know how to take the natural logarithm of both sides of this equation which is what i think i need to do)

I need some help with this log/ln stuff... if nothing else, are there any good links I can read up on? I forgot pretty much everything I've learned about this stuff.

Thanks
    Preet

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2
    For 1, note that you can rewrite it as

[tex]2^x + (2^x)^2 = (2^x)^3.[/tex]

See if that helps!

I'm going to assume that 2 is actually to solve

[tex]\log_x2 = \log_{2x}8.[/tex]

Try using [tex]\log_a b = \frac{\log_c b}{\log_c a}[/tex] on the RHS to convert all the logs to the same base.

I'm also going to assume 3 is actually to solve

[tex]y = \frac{e^{2x}-e^{-2x}}{2}[/tex]

for x in terms of y.

Can you solve

[tex]y = \frac{u + \frac{1}{u}}{2}[/tex]

for u in terms of y? If so, you should be able to do your question too!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?