1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with basic notation

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In an intro Economics course, the teacher gave us some questions regarding function notation. I learned calculus to a decent level, but I have problems with notation.

2. Relevant equations

Question 1. Give an explicit expression for the following set: { x : x ∈ Z and x < 2 }
    Question 2. Give an example of an element (y) of the following set: Y = Y1 x Y2 x Y3 , whereY1 = set of train engines = { green, blue, red }, Y2 =set of train cars = { passenger, boxcar, tanker }, Y3 = set of cabooses = { red }.
    Question 3. Consider the function f : X → Y, when Y = R and f and X are defined as
    follows: X = {(1,1,0), (1,0,1), (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)} and f (x) = x1 + x2 + 2x3. Now what is the set { x : f (x) = 2, x ∈ X }? (NOTE: It is not x*2 or 2x*3, but x with a little two beside it, 2x with a little three beside it).

3. The attempt at a solution

Question 1: I don't get what "explicit expression" means. It wants an integer less than two...
    {x: (- infinity, 2), x ∈ Z}
    Question 2: [Green, boxcar, red caboose]
    Question 3: (1, 1, 0)

Can someone please tell me where/if I went wrong?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those little numbers are called subscripts. You can use the X2 icon to make subscripts. Apparently they are labelling the members of X like x1=(1,1,0), x2= (1,0,1), etc, using the subscripts as indices to label them.
    It might mean {1,0,-1,-2,-3,...} where the ... means continue.
    Usual notation would use ( ) instead of [ ].
    Add x1, x2 and 2x3 in the usual way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook