Basic Notation Help for Intro Economics Course: Calculus, Functions, and Sets"

• Thread starter 939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
You should get 4 terms, each of which will be a member of the set. In summary, the conversation revolves around questions regarding function notation and specific sets and elements. The first question asks for an explicit expression of a set containing integers less than 2. The second question asks for an example of an element from a set of train parts. The third question involves a function with a specific set and asks for the set of x values that result in a function value of 2, using subscripts to label the members of the set. Some suggestions and clarifications are also provided.

Homework Statement

In an intro Economics course, the teacher gave us some questions regarding function notation. I learned calculus to a decent level, but I have problems with notation.

Homework Equations

Question 1. Give an explicit expression for the following set: { x : x ∈ Z and x < 2 }
Question 2. Give an example of an element (y) of the following set: Y = Y1 x Y2 x Y3 , whereY1 = set of train engines = { green, blue, red }, Y2 =set of train cars = { passenger, boxcar, tanker }, Y3 = set of cabooses = { red }.
Question 3. Consider the function f : X → Y, when Y = R and f and X are defined as
follows: X = {(1,1,0), (1,0,1), (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)} and f (x) = x1 + x2 + 2x3. Now what is the set { x : f (x) = 2, x ∈ X }? (NOTE: It is not x*2 or 2x*3, but x with a little two beside it, 2x with a little three beside it).

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1: I don't get what "explicit expression" means. It wants an integer less than two...
{x: (- infinity, 2), x ∈ Z}
Question 2: [Green, boxcar, red caboose]
Question 3: (1, 1, 0)

Can someone please tell me where/if I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

In an intro Economics course, the teacher gave us some questions regarding function notation. I learned calculus to a decent level, but I have problems with notation.

Homework Equations

Question 1. Give an explicit expression for the following set: { x : x ∈ Z and x < 2 }

Question 2. Give an example of an element (y) of the following set: Y = Y1 x Y2 x Y3 , whereY1 = set of train engines = { green, blue, red }, Y2 =set of train cars = { passenger, boxcar, tanker }, Y3 = set of cabooses = { red }.
Question 3. Consider the function f : X → Y, when Y = R and f and X are defined as
follows: X = {(1,1,0), (1,0,1), (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,1)} and f (x) = x1 + x2 + 2x3. Now what is the set { x : f (x) = 2, x ∈ X }? (NOTE: It is not x*2 or 2x*3, but x with a little two beside it, 2x with a little three beside it).

Those little numbers are called subscripts. You can use the X2 icon to make subscripts. Apparently they are labelling the members of X like x1=(1,1,0), x2= (1,0,1), etc, using the subscripts as indices to label them.

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1: I don't get what "explicit expression" means. It wants an integer less than two...
{x: (- infinity, 2), x ∈ Z}
It might mean {1,0,-1,-2,-3,...} where the ... means continue.
Question 2: [Green, boxcar, red caboose]
Usual notation would use ( ) instead of [ ].
Question 3: (1, 1, 0)
Add x1, x2 and 2x3 in the usual way.

What is basic notation?

Basic notation refers to the symbols, terms, and conventions used in a particular field of study to represent and communicate information. It is the foundation of communication and understanding in science and mathematics.

Why is it important to learn basic notation?

Learning basic notation allows scientists to communicate ideas and concepts more efficiently and accurately. It also enables them to read and understand information from other researchers and build upon existing knowledge.

What are some common symbols used in basic notation?

Some common symbols used in basic notation include "+" for addition, "-" for subtraction, "x" for multiplication, "/" for division, "=" for equality, and "^" for exponentiation.

Are there different notations for different fields of science?

Yes, different fields of science may use different notations and symbols based on their specific needs and conventions. For example, the notation used in physics may differ from that used in chemistry.

How can I improve my understanding of basic notation?

To improve your understanding of basic notation, it is helpful to practice using it in various contexts and to seek clarification from experts or resources when needed. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the common symbols and conventions used in your field of study can also aid in understanding.