Gravitational Pull and Acceleration: Earth vs. Moon

In summary, the Earth and the moon pull on each other with equal gravitational force according to Newton's Third Law. However, due to the moon's smaller mass, it will experience a greater acceleration compared to the Earth when the same force is applied to both objects.
justinbaker
Which pulls harder gravitationally? the Earth on the moon, or the moon on the
earth? Which accelerated more?

i know this is easy, but don't they pull the same, and accelerate the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
justinbaker said:

If you used the formula F = G M1 M2 / R^2 tell me what does F represent

does F represent the force Earth exerts on the moon or the moon exerts on Earth or both??

justinbaker said:

Newton's Third Law gives you the answer to the first part - they pull at each other with equal force. For the second part, ask yourself if the same force is applied to two objects which will undergo the greater acceleration - the more massive object or the less massive object?

so they pull the same, but the moon will accelerate more because it has a smaller masss

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. How can I solve a basic physics problem?

The key to solving any physics problem is to clearly understand the given information and identify the relevant principles and equations that apply. Then, plug in the known values and use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common units used in physics?

Some common units used in physics include meters (m) for distance, seconds (s) for time, kilograms (kg) for mass, and Newtons (N) for force. Other units may be used depending on the specific measurement being taken.

4. How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

One way to check your answer is to plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another method is to use estimation or unit analysis to ensure that your answer is reasonable and in the correct units.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only relevant to complicated or abstract concepts, or that it is only applicable in a laboratory setting. In reality, physics concepts can be found all around us in everyday life and can be used to explain many natural phenomena.