How Does Osmotic Pressure Influence Net Flux in Biology?

• Thread starter student93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with two parts involving calculations of radius and equilibrium concentration. The calculations for Part 1 seem correct, but it is always important to double-check. The understanding of net flux in osmosis is correct, and osmotic pressure may play a role in determining the direction and rate of net flux. There are relevant equations, such as the Van't Hoff equation, that can be used to calculate equilibrium concentration more accurately.
student93

Homework Statement

I've attached both parts of the problem in this post.

Homework Equations

For Part 1: X=√2DT

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1:

X=√2(1x10^-5cm/s)(32s)=0.025cm=Radius
Diameter= 0.025cmx2=0.05cm

(I assumed x is a value that is always equal to the radius, though that could be an incorrect assumption.)

Part 2:

A. In case A the net flux will flow from Compartment 2 to Compartment 1 (From Higher to Lower concentration in order to reach equilibrium). In Case B the net flux will be from compartment 1 to Compartment 2. (From Higher to lower concentration in order to reach equilibrium).

(Is this correct? Also does osmotic pressure have any relevancy in regards to this question, and if it does could someone please clarify what osmotic pressure actually does?)

B. In Case A: 9+11=20 -> 20/2 = 10
In Case B: 22+20= 42 -> 42/2 = 21
(I couldn't find any relevant equations and basically assumed this was the only method in regards to calculating the equilibrium concentration).

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-01 at 1.41.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-01 at 1.41.05 PM.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your problem. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

Firstly, for Part 1, your calculations seem correct. X represents the radius in this case, so your assumption is correct. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your calculations and units to make sure everything is consistent.

For Part 2, your understanding of the direction of net flux in both cases is correct. In osmosis, the net flux is always from the area of higher concentration to the area of lower concentration, until equilibrium is reached. Osmotic pressure is a measure of the pressure required to prevent the net flux of solvent (usually water) across a semipermeable membrane. It is directly related to the concentration of solutes in a solution. In this case, osmotic pressure may play a role in determining the direction and rate of net flux between the two compartments.

In regards to your calculations for equilibrium concentration, your method is correct. However, there are some relevant equations that can be used to calculate equilibrium concentration, such as the Van't Hoff equation, which relates the equilibrium concentration to the osmotic pressure. I would suggest looking into these equations for a more accurate calculation.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance.

What is the purpose of studying Biology?

The purpose of studying Biology is to understand the living world around us. It helps us to understand the structures, functions, and interactions of living organisms and their environments. Additionally, studying Biology can lead to advancements in medical treatments, conservation efforts, and agricultural practices.

What are some common topics covered in Biology?

Common topics covered in Biology include cell structure and function, genetics, evolution, ecology, and human anatomy and physiology. Other topics may include microbiology, botany, zoology, and biochemistry.

What are the different branches of Biology?

The main branches of Biology include botany, zoology, microbiology, ecology, genetics, and biochemistry. Other sub-disciplines include anatomy, physiology, biotechnology, and evolutionary biology.

What skills are needed to be successful in Biology?

To be successful in Biology, one needs strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to analyze and interpret data. Good communication skills and attention to detail are also important, as well as a strong foundation in mathematics and chemistry.

What career options are available for those studying Biology?

Studying Biology can lead to a wide range of career options, including but not limited to, medical professions, environmental conservation, agricultural science, biotechnology, and scientific research. Other fields such as education, science writing, and science policy also utilize knowledge and skills from Biology.