Mastering Black Hole Energy: A Guide to Solving Homework Problems | Expert Tips

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding black holes and energy. The person needs help understanding how to determine the energy of an object orbiting a black hole at a certain distance. They have provided equations and are seeking guidance to solve the problem. The expert advises that the last equation provided is all that is needed and clarifies that the question is not specifically about black holes.
zzzaaaappp

Homework Statement

I have a question about black holes and energy but have no idea what to do. if someone could just point me in the right direction.

the question asks to consider a mass spiraling into a black hole, starting with energy E=0 at infinity. I have to determine E of the object when orbiting the black hole at distance r classically. I'm just stuck right now, not sure what is wrong.

Homework Equations

what I am thinking;

T(r)= 1/2 Iw^2
U(r)= -GMm/r

there are following questions that I can't get to until i figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last equation is all you need. Note that this question actually has nothing to do with black holes; any normal mass will do just as well.

- Warren

1. How do black holes generate energy?

Black holes generate energy through a process called accretion, in which matter is pulled into the black hole's intense gravitational field and heated to extreme temperatures, causing it to emit intense radiation.

2. Can we harness the energy from black holes?

At this time, it is not possible to harness energy directly from black holes. The intense gravitational forces and extreme temperatures make it difficult for any technology to survive near a black hole.

3. How can we solve homework problems related to black hole energy?

To solve homework problems related to black hole energy, it is important to have a strong understanding of the physics behind black holes and their interactions with matter. It is also helpful to use mathematical equations and models to analyze and solve problems.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding black hole energy?

Although there are currently no practical applications for harnessing black hole energy, understanding the physics of black holes can help us further our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to advancements in space exploration and technology.

5. What are some expert tips for mastering black hole energy?

Some expert tips for mastering black hole energy include having a strong understanding of the theory of general relativity, using mathematical models and equations to analyze problems, and staying up-to-date on current research and advancements in the field of astrophysics.