Can Bravais Lattices Be Expressed as a Combination of Primitive Vectors?

In summary, the body-centered cubic (bcc) Bravais lattice can be represented by three primitive vectors a1, a2, and a3. These vectors can be chosen as a1 = ax, a2 = ay, and a3 = (a/2)(x+y+z) or as b1 = (a/2)(y+z-x), b2 = (a/2)(z+x-y), and b3 = (a/2)(x+y-z), where x, y, and z are unit vectors. It is possible to express any vector in the form R = n1a1 + n2a2 + n3a3, where n1, n2, and n3 are integers
Mythbusters
I have three primitive vectors a1,a2,a3 for the body-centered cubic (bcc) Bravais can be chosen as

a1=ax
a2=ay
a3=(a/2)(x+y+z)

or, for instance, as

b1=(a/2)(y+z-x)
b2=(a/2)(z+x-y)
b3=(a/2)(x+y-z)

where x,y,z are unit vectors.

Now I should show that any vector of the form

R=n1a1+n2a2+n3a3
where n1,n2,n3 are integers

can be presented as

R=m1b1+m2b2+m3b3
where m1,m2,m3 are integers

Do anyone have an idea how I can do this?
Does it help me if I construct reciprocal lattice?

//
Mythbusters - "Well, here's your problem"

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mythbusters!

dunno wot a reciprockle lattice is :confused:

but all you need to do is to express each a as a combination of bs :smile:

Hint: to get you started, what is b1 + b2 + b3 ? :wink:

1. What is a Bravais lattice?

A Bravais lattice is a mathematical concept used to describe the geometric arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal. It is defined as an infinite array of points in 3-dimensional space that has the same arrangement of points when viewed from any point in the lattice.

2. How many types of Bravais lattices are there?

There are 14 types of Bravais lattices, also known as Bravais lattice systems. These include the primitive cubic, body-centered cubic, face-centered cubic, and the hexagonal lattice. Each type has a unique arrangement of points and specific lattice parameters.

3. What is the significance of Bravais lattices in crystallography?

Bravais lattices are important in crystallography because they provide a systematic way of describing the symmetry of crystals. They also help in understanding the physical and chemical properties of crystals, such as their mechanical, thermal, and optical properties.

4. How are Bravais lattices classified?

Bravais lattices are classified based on their symmetry elements, which include translation, rotation, reflection, and inversion. There are seven crystal systems, which are further divided into the 14 types of Bravais lattices.

5. What are the parameters used to describe a Bravais lattice?

The parameters used to describe a Bravais lattice include the lattice constants, lattice angles, and lattice basis. The lattice constants are the distances between neighboring lattice points, while the lattice angles are the angles between the lattice vectors. The lattice basis is the set of atoms or molecules that are repeated to form the lattice.