1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Calc problem, limits

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    This shouldn't be too hard but I'm stuck, brain is getting fried.

lim [(1+2x-x^3)-(1+2(1)-(1)^3)]/(x-1)
    x->1

have gotten this far and I'm stuck:

lim (-x^3+2x-1)/(x-1)
    x->1

Any help is appreciated, thx.

hk

ETA: fixed typo

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

-x^3 + 2x - 1 = x - x^3 + x - 1 = x(1 - x^2) + x - 1

continue

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    working...

hk

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4
    I really really want to just cancel x-1 from top and bottom! But knowing I can't, do I need to multiply top and bottom by something to change the denominator?

hk

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The numerator has what you need. I just gave you one step in the right direction. Look for another step.

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6
    Well, I gave up and solved it with the [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h formula instead of
    [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a). I was able to get the correct solution of -1 (according to the back of the book), but I'm still curious where I was going wrong with my algebra on the first try. Thanks for your help Dan, I appreciate it.

hk

8. Jun 14, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] -x^3 + 2x - 1 = x - x^3 + x - 1 = x(1 - x^2) + x - 1=x(1+x)(1-x)-(1-x)=(1-x)[x(1+x)-1] [/tex]

And you can see that the (1-x) has been factored.Simplify with the denominator and then take the limit.

Daniel.

9. Jun 14, 2005 #8
    Doh! Difference of two squares, I tend to miss a lot of those when one of the squares is 1. Thanks Daniel.

hk

10. Jun 14, 2005 #9

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just wish to clear up something for the record:

When taking the limit, we are considering values of x close to 1 but NOT equal to 1. Thus it is possible to divide by (x-1). Not trying to upstage anyone here. Anyway, by synthetic division:

[tex]\mathop\lim\limits_{x\to 1}\frac{-(x^3-2x+1)}{x-1}=\mathop\lim\limits_{x\to 1}\frac{-(x^2+x-1)(x-1)}{x-1}=\mathop\lim\limits_{x\to 1}-(x^2+x-1)=-1[/tex]

I know, I'm such a Johnny-come-lately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?