Comparing Casio FX-115ES & Sharp ELW516B: Find Polynomial Roots?

In summary, the conversation is about returning a calculator and asking for help in deciding which calculator to keep. The question is whether either of the two calculators can find the roots of a polynomial and solve for complex solutions. The expert recommends consulting the user's guides for more information and provides a link for the Casio calculator's guide. The guide for the Sharp calculator was not found but reviews suggest that it can solve algebraic equations.
hominid
This isn't really a HW question, so I am posting it here. Hopefully someone will be able to help me, and I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes... I want to return one of my new calculators, but I'm not sure which one I should keep. I own the Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B, both unopened.

My question is, can either of these find the roots of a polynomial to the nth degree? For example, 5x^7-4x^5+11x. And can either of them find complex solutions?

Thank you for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I recommend you consult the user's guides. If you don't want to open the boxes to get the guides out, there is a guide for the casio here:
http://support.casio.com/pdf/004/fx-115ES_991ES_Eng.pdf

I was unable to find a guide for the sharp EL W516B but reviews indicate that it can solve algebraic equations.

1. How do the Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B compare in terms of finding polynomial roots?

The Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B are both scientific calculators that have the ability to find polynomial roots. However, the Casio FX-115ES is known for its superior feature of being able to find complex roots, while the Sharp ELW516B can only find real roots.

2. Which calculator is more accurate in finding polynomial roots?

Both the Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B are highly accurate calculators. However, the Casio FX-115ES has a higher resolution display and more advanced algorithms, making it slightly more accurate in finding polynomial roots.

3. Is one calculator easier to use for finding polynomial roots?

The ease of use for finding polynomial roots may vary depending on the user's familiarity with each calculator. However, the Casio FX-115ES has a simpler interface and more intuitive buttons, making it easier for beginners to use.

4. Can either calculator find all types of polynomial roots?

Both the Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B have the ability to find polynomial roots of various degrees. However, as mentioned before, the Casio FX-115ES can also find complex roots while the Sharp ELW516B cannot.

5. Which calculator is more cost-effective for finding polynomial roots?

The Sharp ELW516B is generally more affordable than the Casio FX-115ES. However, if the user requires the ability to find complex roots, the Casio FX-115ES may be a better investment in the long run.