1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with calculators

Tags:
  1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    This isn't really a HW question, so I am posting it here. Hopefully someone will be able to help me, and I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes... I want to return one of my new calculators, but I'm not sure which one I should keep. I own the Casio FX-115ES and Sharp ELW516B, both unopened.

My question is, can either of these find the roots of a polynomial to the nth degree? For example, 5x^7-4x^5+11x. And can either of them find complex solutions?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I recommend you consult the user's guides. If you don't want to open the boxes to get the guides out, there is a guide for the casio here:
    http://support.casio.com/pdf/004/fx-115ES_991ES_Eng.pdf

I was unable to find a guide for the sharp EL W516B but reviews indicate that it can solve algebraic equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook