Help with Calorimetry: Calculate ΔH, ΔU

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calorimetry
In summary, Homework Equations state that the change in pressure-volume for the conversion of O2 to CO2 is insignificant. Delta PV is computed to be665 joules.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Mothballs are composed primarily of the hydrocarbon naphthalene (C10H8). When 1.070 g of naphthalene burns in a bomb calorimeter, the temperature rises from 24.464 ∘C to 32.473 ∘C.

determine delta H and delta U given the heat capacity of the calorimeter is 5.112 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

[tex] \Delta H = \Delta U + \Delta n_{gas} RT [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated delta U just fine and got -4904 kJ/mol

I know the answer for delta H is - 4909 kJ/mol

how do i calculate the the second term in the equation up there? from the combustion reaction i foudnm that delta n is -2. R is 8.314. But since T is not constant, how do i accoutnm for that? Do i average it?

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to compute the initial ## PV=n R T ## for the ## O_2 ## molecules at the initial temperature, and the final ## PV=n R T ## for the resulting components at the final temperature, and subtract the first from the second. When the ## O_2 ## combines with the carbon to make ## CO_2 ## there is no change in the pressure-volume, while when it combines with the ## H ## to make ## H_2 O ##, (presumably in the vapor form) the pressure-volume gets doubled, as you get two ## H_2 O ## molecules for each ## O_2 ##. Perhaps @Chestermiller could help answer this to see if he agrees. ## \\ ## Editing... Since the ## \Delta PV ## to get the ## \Delta H ## from the ## \Delta U ## appears to be ## -5 \,kJ/mole ##, does that mean that the water that forms is in the liquid phase? 1 mole of ## C_{10} H_8 ## corresponds to 2 moles of ## O_2 ## needed to make 4 moles of ## H_2 O ##.(Initial PV of ## O_2 ## that gets converted to liquid ## H_2 O ## ): 2(8.314)(297)=5000 joules that apparently goes into liquid form. That would explain the -5 kJ/mole in the difference between ## \Delta U ## and ## \Delta H ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, the change that occurs in the PV as ## O_2 ## goes from ## O_2 ## at the initial temperature to the same number of moles of ## CO_2 ## at the final temperature is most likely insignificant: 10 moles of ## O_2 ## and/or ## CO_2 ## and ## \Delta T=8 ## degrees. ## \Delta (PV)=10(8.314)8=665 \, joules ##. (Less than 1 kJ). It could make the -5 kJ into a -4kJ . Otherwise insignificant.

Last edited:
I get -4904 kJ/mole for ##\Delta U##

For ##\Delta (PV)##, I get ((14)(273.2+32.473)-(12)(273.2+24.464))(8.314)=+5882 J/mole = 5.8 kJ/mole

So, I get ##\Delta H = -4904 + 6 = -4898\ kJ/mole##

This neglects the sensible heat increase of the products.

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
I get -4904 kJ/mole for ##\Delta U##

For ##\Delta (PV)##, I get ((14)(273.2+32.473)-(12)(273.2+24.464))(8.314)=+5882 J/mole = 5.8 kJ/mole

So, I get ##\Delta H = -4904 + 6 = -4898\ kJ/mole##

This neglects the sensible heat increase of the products.
This seems to be more logical (with the ## H_2 O ## going to the vapor phase upon combustion) than going to the liquid phase, which is apparently what the answer that the OP gives as the "correct" answer must be assuming. Thank you @Chestermiller .

If the final temp is 33°C most of the water will be probably liquid.

Likes Charles Link
Borek said:
If the final temp is 33°C most of the water will be probably liquid.
In this sense, I think the problem statement really needs to be more specific. It does leave us guessing a little, and says nothing about the volume of gas that the calorimeter holds=if the volume is small, then certainly, a good deal of condensation would result. It also doesn't go into detail about how the combustion is initialized, but that is most likely beyond the scope of the exercise.

In a typical bomb calorimeter sample is ignited electrically and the amount of heat from ignition is known and subtracted (no data for that here). To make things easier we add few drops of water to the sample before ignition to make sure head space was already saturated with vapor. Then we can assume all produced water was liquid (and ignore the change in amount of vapor water, head space is rather small).

Likes Charles Link
Oh. I meant to do it for the water being liquid in the end! Sorry. In that case, the number of moles decreases by 2, rather than increases by two. So it would be about 5 kJ less, rather than 5 kJ more. Thanks guys.

Likes Charles Link
If we really did want to get the molar changes in enthalpy and internal energy for the reaction at the initial temperature and at constant volume, we would have to take into account the additional heat that would have to be removed to cool the 4 moles of liquid water and 10 moles of carbon dioxide back down to the initial temperature (at constant volume). Anyone want to take a shot at it? Just roughing it out in my head, I get a number of about 3-4 kJ.

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
If we really did want to get the molar changes in enthalpy and internal energy for the reaction at the initial temperature and at constant volume, we would have to take into account the additional heat that would have to be removed to cool the 4 moles of liquid water and 10 moles of carbon dioxide back down to the initial temperature (at constant volume). Anyone want to take a shot at it? Just roughing it out in my head, I get a number of about 3-4 kJ.
## \Delta U=n C_v \Delta T ## for the ## CO_2 ##, where ## C_v=(3/2)R ##. This gives ## \Delta U=(10)(3/2)(8.314)(-8) \, joules ## for the ## CO_2 ## portion, and an additional ## \Delta U=4(18)(4.184)(-8) joules ## for the liquid water. (## C_v ## for water is 1 cal/gram which is 4.184 joules/gram which is 4.184(18) joules/mole). Some quick arithmetic gives me -996-2400=-3400 joules, very nearly what @Chestermiller estimated. :)

Likes Chestermiller
Charles Link said:
## \Delta U=n C_v \Delta T ## for the ## CO_2 ##, where ## C_v=(3/2)R ##. This gives ## \Delta U=(10)(3/2)(8.314)(-8) \, joules ## for the ## CO_2 ## portion, and an additional ## \Delta U=4(18)(4.184)(-8) joules ## for the liquid water. (## C_v ## for water is 1 cal/gram which is 4.184 joules/gram which is 4.184(18) joules/mole). Some quick arithmetic gives me -996-2400=-3400 joules, very nearly what @Chestermiller estimated. :)
I think 1.5 R is pretty low for CO2. But we're certainly in the right ballpark.

Likes Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
I think 1.5 R is pretty low for CO2. But we're certainly in the right ballpark.
My mistake. For a diatomic gas, ## C_v= (5/2)R ## and for a more complex molecule, it would be even higher. (I had originally thought of this, but mistakenly thought it didn't apply for ## C_v ##. )

Charles Link said:
My mistake. For a diatomic gas, ## C_v= (5/2)R ## and for a more complex molecule, it would be even higher. (I had originally thought of this, but mistakenly thought it didn't apply for ## C_v ##. )
I looked up co2, and it was about 3.6R

Likes Charles Link

1. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the scientific method used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. It involves using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures changes in temperature, to determine the heat changes in a system.

2. How do you calculate ΔH and ΔU?

To calculate ΔH (change in enthalpy), you need to measure the heat transferred during a reaction or process using a calorimeter. The formula for ΔH is ΔH = q / n, where q is the heat transferred and n is the number of moles of the substance. To calculate ΔU (change in internal energy), you can use the formula ΔU = ΔH - PΔV, where P is the pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

3. What units are used for ΔH and ΔU?

The units for ΔH and ΔU are typically expressed in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ), as these are the SI units for energy. However, other units such as calories (cal) or kilocalories (kcal) may also be used.

4. How is calorimetry used in chemistry?

Calorimetry is used in chemistry to determine the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. This information is important in understanding the energetics of a reaction, such as whether it is exothermic (releases heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat).

5. What are some sources of error in calorimetry experiments?

Some sources of error in calorimetry experiments include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of reactants, and heat transfer between the calorimeter and the substances being measured. Other factors such as imperfect insulation, variations in atmospheric pressure, and human error can also contribute to inaccuracies in the results.