1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With Centripetal Acceleration *

1. Oct 2, 2003 #1
    ******help With Centripetal Acceleration*******

would someone PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO PROVIDE ME WITH AN EXPLANATION OF CENTRIPETAL ACCELERATION????? KINDA LIKE A SUMMARY OF THE TOPIC. EXAMPLES AND FORMULAS WOULD BE VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY APPRECIATED THANK YOU. PLEASE REPLY SOONNNN

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It all starts with Newton's first law: An object in motion tends to maintain its state of motion.

That is, if an object is at rest, it remains at rest unless acted on by a force. Likewise, an object moving in a straight line at constant speed tends to remain at that speed, and along that straight line, unless acted on by a force.

Q: So if a moving object tends to move in a straight line, how can I get something moving in a circle?

A: By supplying a force towards the center of the circle to cause a centripetal acceleration.

The centripetal acceleration is a vector that points towards the center of the circular path and represents the rate of change of velocity. Note that I said "velocity" and not "speed". The speed is constant along the circular path. So how does the velocity change without the speed changing? Remember that velocity is a vector quantity, so it has both magnitude and direction. If the direction changes, then the velocity changes, even though the magnitude (aka-the "speed") remains constant.

The centripetal acceleration of the particle is precisely that acceleration required to maintain the motion of a particle along a circular path at constant speed. As you have no doubt seen in your physics book, its magnitude is aC=v2/r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?