Help with centripital motion questions.

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
It is just an inertial force. In summary, the first question discusses the minimum speed that a roller coaster must be traveling at the top of a circle in order for passengers not to fall out, using the formula F = m*a and considering the centripetal force and the force of gravity. The second question involves a sports car crossing the top of a hill and determining the normal force on the car and the driver, as well as the car speed at which the normal force equals zero, using the formula F = m*a and considering the frame of reference.
DLxX
Help with these questions please

At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? Assume a radius of curvature of 8.6.

2. A 1000kg sports car moving at 20m/s crosses the rounded top of a hill(radius = 100m). Determine (a) the normal force on the car, (b) the normal force on the 70kg driver, and (c) the car speed at which the normal force equals zero.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I would solve the question for you, but looking around the forums that seems to be the thing not to do.

I'm not awesome at physics so perhaps I wll be corrected. But, consider the following for the first question:

1] F = m*a
2] For centripetal motion a = v^2 / r
3] Centripetal force will have to conteract that Force of gravity. ie Fg = Fc

2 would also seem to be pretty simple. Again, F = m*a, a =mv^2 / R

Mostly looks like plug and chug to me :confused:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Centripetal force is not counteracting the force of gravity; they both point in the same direction.

Sirus said:
Centripetal force is not counteracting the force of gravity; they both point in the same direction.
Thats right...if you solve the problem in the frame of the roller-coaster then centrifugal force will counteract gravity.

From the Earth's frame the gravity and reaction force of the seat will provide the centripetal force.
So R+mg=mv^2 /r
For min v, R=0 i.e. the passengers are not in contact with their seats.
So vmin = sqroot(gr)

rhia said:
if you solve the problem in the frame of the roller-coaster then centrifugal force will counteract gravity.

Actually centrifugal force does not exist.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that is experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is actually the result of an object's inertia, and it does not actually exist as a physical force.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

Centripetal force does not directly affect the speed of an object. It is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity, causing it to move in a circular path. However, the magnitude of the centripetal force is dependent on the speed of the object, as shown in the formula F = mv²/r.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the Earth revolving around the Sun, a car turning a corner, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a washing machine spinning clothes. Any object that moves in a circular path is experiencing centripetal force.