1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Chem- Azeotropic Distillation

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I am curious on how azeotropic distillation works. I know it has to do with the gas law, PV=nRT but I would like to know in depth analysis how this process works.

I have organic 2 lab final coming up (this Tuesday) and it may happen we might be asked to explain how azeotropic distillation works.

The experiment we did was synthesis of Sulcatol (6-methyl-5-hepeten-2-ol). I transferred the crude prepared Sulcatol to a round bottom flask connect to thermometer and manometer (to measure the pressure). Also, pump was connected to the set-up to generate pressure, and I heated the crude sulcatol till it evaporated. Can someone help me in explaining what is going on in the pressure-boiling process?

Also, I would like to know why the manometer reading is in negative not positive?

Please let me know if my method of submitting the question is incomplete. I am new to the forum.
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted