1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Chemistry problem

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Iridium has a face-centered cubic unit cell. The density of iridium is 22.61 grams per centimeter cubed. What is the diameter, in angstroms, of the iridium atom ?

Atomic weight of Iridium = 192.1

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What work have you done.

With the information given and Avogadro's Number, one can find the number of atoms of iridium in one cubic cm.

Think how the atoms are arraged in the fcc lattice and how the lattice parameter relates to the atomic diameter (or radius).

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    wouldnt u just divide the molar mass by 6.022 X 10^23 and times it by 4 since the fcc is made like that. After that I have no clue. Dont I have to convert density into g/angstroms?? Please help with this equation, I am going crazy over this.

5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So far, this is correct. But what quantity is it that you have calculated by doing this ?

ie : What quantity does [tex]4* \frac{molar~ mass}{6.022 \cdot 10^{23}} [/tex] describe ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?