How to Arrange Bases in Order of Their Tendency to Combine with Protons?

• Thread starter bigjj456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses arranging bases in order of their tendency to combine with protons. The hint given suggests separating the bases into ionic and molecular compounds to determine strong and weak bases. It is mentioned that strong bases are strong electrolytes and separating them into subgroups can make problem-solving easier. However, there is some confusion about the placement of OH- and Br- on the basicity scale and the conversation ends with a lighthearted reminder that making mistakes is a part of learning.
bigjj456
Help with chemistry question?

Arrange the following bases in order of their tendency to combine with protons, putting the strongest base first:
NH3, H2O, OH-, CH3COO- (acetate ion), Br-.
NH3 Kb = 1.8 X 10-5
CH3COOH Ka = 1.8 X 10-5

Chemistry news on Phys.org

First of all, do you know the definition of strong bases vs. weak bases? Hint: separate the ionic compounds from the molecular compounds, and go from there.

I am not sure how this hint is going to work. But starting with definition will definitely help.

--

I meant that strong bases are strong electrolytes, so separating them into ionic and molecular will give two groups, one of strong bases and one of weak. For me, it's easier to break things down into subgroups like this. Also, this is the best advice I could think to give, since pKa doesn't seem to be mentioned.

OK, I have classified both Br- and OH- as strong electolytes, does it mean they will be both on the same end of 'basicity' scale?

--
methods

I see what you mean. My mistake. I'm still learning some of this myself, and I suppose what I said wasn't the best way to go about this problem. Sorry about that, disregard what I said before.

Don't worry, the only way to not make any mistakes is to not do anything :grumpy:

--
methods

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult chemistry question?

The best way to approach a difficult chemistry question is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the main concepts or equations that are involved and then work through each step carefully. You can also try practicing with similar problems or seeking help from a tutor or teacher.

2. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of chemistry concepts is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking practice quizzes, creating study guides, or explaining concepts to someone else. You can also try to relate the concepts to real-life examples to better understand their applications.

3. What resources are available for help with chemistry questions?

There are many resources available for help with chemistry questions, including textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your school or local library may also have resources such as textbooks, study guides, and practice problems.

4. How can I check if my answer to a chemistry question is correct?

You can check if your answer to a chemistry question is correct by using a reliable source such as a textbook, online tutorial, or asking a teacher or tutor. You can also check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct units and formulas.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a chemistry question?

If you are struggling with a chemistry question, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can ask a teacher or tutor for clarification, review the material again, or try approaching the problem from a different angle. Don't be afraid to ask for help, as understanding the material is crucial for success in chemistry.