Help with chemistry question?

• Thread starter bigjj456
  • Start date
Help with chemistry question????

Arrange the following bases in order of their tendency to combine with protons, putting the strongest base first:
NH3, H2O, OH-, CH3COO- (acetate ion), Br-.
NH3 Kb = 1.8 X 10-5
CH3COOH Ka = 1.8 X 10-5

Answers and Replies

First of all, do you know the definition of strong bases vs. weak bases? Hint: separate the ionic compounds from the molecular compounds, and go from there.

Borek
Mentor

I am not sure how this hint is going to work. But starting with definition will definitely help.

--

I meant that strong bases are strong electrolytes, so separating them into ionic and molecular will give two groups, one of strong bases and one of weak. For me, it's easier to break things down into subgroups like this. Also, this is the best advice I could think to give, since pKa doesn't seem to be mentioned.

Borek
Mentor

OK, I have classified both Br- and OH- as strong electolytes, does it mean they will be both on the same end of 'basicity' scale?

--
methods

I see what you mean. My mistake. I'm still learning some of this myself, and I suppose what I said wasn't the best way to go about this problem. Sorry about that, disregard what I said before.

Borek
Mentor

Don't worry, the only way to not make any mistakes is to not do anything :grumpy:

--
methods